.17 HMR for coyotes?

7mmSendaro: My extensive experience with the 17 HMR (starting in early 2,003 and continuing to this day) is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of your "buddies"!
I have killed several Raccoons with my 17 HMR and exactly NONE of them took more than one shot to kill and most were much further than "up in a tree" distance!
I am also on about my 20th Badger killed with the 17 HMR and exactly NONE of them took more than one shot!
I have also killed 3 Coyotes to date with my 17 HMR's and again exactly NONE of them took more than one shot!
I have also killed many Rock Chucks and several Porcupines with my 17 HMR's to date.
I fire at least 1,000 rounds a year at small game and Varmints with my 17 HMR's (mostly Ground Squirrels, Jack Rabbits, Rock Chucks and Prairie Dogs) and I know for a fact that the lethality of the 17 HMR is far superior to that of the 22 L.R. on any type of small game or Varmint!
For reference/background - I began Hunting Varmints with a 22 L.R. back in 1957!
The 22 L.R. and the 17 HMR are not even in the same ball park when it comes to lethality, the 17 HMR is so much better!
Do not underestimate the lethality of a 17 HMR on Varmints and small game - ESPECIALLY when the bullet is placed with care into a vital zone!
In additon to the previously mentioned game and Varmints I have taken with the 17 HMR I have also harvested Fox, Wild Turkey, Snowshoe Hare, Weasel, feral cats, Skunks and several varieties of flying vermin.
Used within its limitations (as with ANY cartridge) the 17 HMR is an excellent small game, predator and Varmint cartridge.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

.17 HMR for coyotes!

why not? What was the objection? I use it out to 100 yds or so. It depends on the area. If its brushy and shots would be close then ok. If the shots are longer I go to a center fire.

Thanks for posting that, hmmm

It was just posted so the *** hat clowners would realize they were clowning someone on something they knew nothing about. I generally try not to respond on things I know nothing about because when I do I usually end up in the situation the people clowning are in.

I guess maybe someone should have explained a little better? I thought I reloaded for my 223 when I lubed the cases, popped out the old primer,re sized the neck, trimmed the cases, re primed them, put powder back in them, seated a bullet in them, and crimped them? My bad. I would have never guessed that "hand loading" meant pulling a light bullet out of a piece of brass and putting a heavier one in? like I said, "I'm no reloading expert", but that was my mistake!! lightbulb

If it works for the shooter, the caliber is really not an issue, and judgements should not be made by others. Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .20VT, .222 or .21 Fireball (I usually use a .22-250), but that's just me. I have been successful with these calibers (I usually shoot them at shorter ranges), although I could be equally successful with a larger centerfire for longer ranges. Who cares what caliber is used if it works and doesn't allow for the animal's suffering, or at least minimilizes the chances of suffering? If I were successful with a BB gun in 99% of my shots, I would not be too happy at getting criticized just because I used a BB gun.

Naturally, there is always the argument about "shot placement" as being an important factor. Well...Duh....naturally this is important, so why do people keep bringing it up? But, what do I know? I have seen people using 6mm bullets for ground squirrels. I kill them with a .22 LR and rarely miss....but I pick my shots and know exactly what the rifle will do. So....if a .17 HMR works, use it. Would I use a .17 HMR? No. I am not familiar with the cartridge and want a bit of extra ooomph in case my shot is not exactly where it should be.

In my opinion 17HMR is the best coon hunting round ever developed. I have hunted with hounds for many years with a 22 LR. The 22LR could not penetrate the skull of a large MN coon. Thousands of times have I hit one in the head multiple times and they would do nothing more than shake their head. When I would skin them there would be a bunch of holes in the hide where I had shot them, but the bullets wouldn't go through the skull. When they came out of a tree they were fighting with the dog. I have shot hundreds of coon with 17HMR. Never do I have a coon fighting with the dog, they are dead before they hit the ground with one shot. Penetrates the skull every time & explodes. Rarely do I ever have an exit hole out the back of a coons head. For coyotes I would want more penetration than that. Hit one in the shoulder it wont make it to the vitals. I rarely get close enough shots at coyotes to aim at the head.

you can get as mad as any of you want for me saying this but to me there are 1000s upon 1000s of yotes in my neck of the woods and my whitetails,turkeys, and quail take a far higher priority than a coyote. shoot it if it runs off my fealings arent hurt. if youre rough on my deer im rough on you. thats how it is. Most of you wont agree but it is what it is.

i switched to my 17hmr from my 308 simply because there is less fur damage. yeah i can take a longer shot with my 308 but isnt half the fun of hunting calling or stalking the animal to as close as you can get? never had a coyote go more than 10 yards with my 17hmr after a nice head shot but i keep my shots under 125 yardsgun)

I have taken 4 yotes, 2 wild dogs and, 70# hog with 17HMR with no issues. Longest shot was 137 yds and all shots where right in the ear and none of the above took another step.

Here's a pretty good read on the 17 HMR. If going for yotes I'd say bullet selection and placement would be very important. Not the bullet comparison between the Hornady and CCI bullets.

Seems I saw on the TV a guy busting ferral hogs with a 17 HMR out of a tree stand. He'd get several from one group as the low noise did not frighten the animals off. All head shots at 50 yards but seemed to work out fine.

Varmint Al's Field Testing The 17 HMR

I have pretty much read everyones comments on here and was just looking for insight into getting my own 17 to take with me and my son small game hunting and if we got bored try to call in some yotes. Lot's of opinioins on here, about "ethical hunting" and "long range sport hunting" and what not. But I still haven't read a thread that gives me any reason not to buy a 17 to take hunting with my lil boy for squirrels and rabbits and if we bet bored why not try to call in a "yote" My son's lil gun is the henry youth 22, I kinda love that gun so was leaning towards the henry 17 hmr. Not looking at hitting anything farther than a 100 yards mind you, just getting my son into it and learning a gun and being respectful around it. It sounds to me that at 100 yards or less if me and my son are not successfull getting any rabbits or squirrels, we can have some fun on the farm and try to call in some yotes into a certain range and the gun is ok? Right?

There was a very controversial thread on Rimfire Central a while back. Even though some very successful yote killers use it some...other guys almost went ballistic (no pun intended) over the idea.

I would try it close in.

I killed my first coyote @ 165 yards with my .17HMR using Hornady .17 VMax . It was on a trot...couldn't stop it...hit it a little back....killed it anyway. It will do the job...but I'd rather shoot my .22-250 for yotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.