17 hmr for bobcat calling.

204_ruger

My new ruger american 17 hmr will be in soon. Looking at the Hawke 4x12x40AO IR 17 hmr scope to put on it. Only ammo i can find is CCI 17gr v max. And hornady 20gr xtp ammo. Bought some of both but going to try xtp. My 204 ruger messes a bobcat up. I have a 22 mag. But wanted to try a 17 hmr. Will the 20 gr xtp be better than a 17 gr v max?

I'd say either will work just fine . The 20 gr maybe a little bit better due to the fact that it should be a little bit slower maybe and might not expand as quick . But in all reality both bullets will expand as soon as they hit said target. Cats are kinda fragile compared to the canine species from my experience. I would almost bet money that a head shot with the 17 hmr would be explosive, but body shots should be good .

I shot a nice bobcat in the nose at 35 yards with one of the Hornaday 20 gr xtp's it didn't make too bad of a mess but it's eyes were pretty badly bulged out . If I could have gotten a better shot placement say in the ribs or such I would recommend that instead but at that range when all you have is the head showing that's what you take advantage of .

I shot a nice bobcat in the nose at 35 yards with one of the Hornaday 20 gr xtp's it didn't make too bad of a mess but it's eyes were pretty badly bulged out . If I could have gotten a better shot placement say in the ribs or such I would recommend that instead but at that range when all you have is the head showing that's what you take advantage of .
I hate when that happens , nose shot 17 WSM at 100 yards.đź‘Ť

Attachments

• eyes .jpg
    eyes .jpg
    507 KB · Views: 178
I did snagged 14 boxes of the hornady 20gr xtp ammo. I dont go out and just shoot much at paper.
I purchased (8) bricks of Hornady 20 gr XPTs for I about $85 per brick (500) back in the golden ages. I have a Volquartsen 17HMR McMillan Thumb Hole stock that is a tack drive. I used for squirrels and varmints (armadillos/coons/possums).
I use a RRA 223 Fred Eichler Coyote Special with a Night Vision D-760 and FLIR for Yotes/Bob Cats and everything else at night.
I use 223 SGK 65gr and don't get really any fur damage, but drops them in their tracks. If I want the fur I use this.
If I just want a fast kill for Chucks I use a .204 with 39gr SBK. Massive entry wound.
Shot this Tom behind the left lower shoulder and went straight through both lungs with basically no fur damage. He dropped in his tracks.
I also shot many an animal with the 20 XPT. Some blew in half (squirrels) others like bigger coons/chucks just dropped with massive internal damage. I also use a .204 with SBK 39gr and this is probably one of the most effective calibers to kill something, but along with that massive front entry and fur damage.
When I am night hunting for Yotes/Bob cats I always use my 223 with 65gr SGK. Very effective and save the fur if you want to mount or make furs to sell. You can't believe the amount of people that want to buy a coyote fur to hang in their den or Man Cave.

Attachments

• Wood Chuck Chuck.jpg
    Wood Chuck Chuck.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Chuck and Bob.jpg
    Chuck and Bob.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 120
I love the home but would opt for something bigger for our pa Bob's while calling sometimes you never Get the perfect shot opportunity and have to take what is offered. With that said we are only allowed one per year so I like em anchored where they are.