169 Hammer Hunter Terminal Performance

The hammers just don't quite seem to disperse enough energy on a broadside shot to shock the nervous system like some of the frangible bullets. But they perform great and the animals don't make it far!
I will completely disagree on this statement.
Having shot and witnessed dozens of elk, moose, caribou and deer killed with Hammers only 1 deer and 1 caribou weren't DRT. Ranges from 20 yards to over 850 yards. 4 different calibers. 4 different bullet weights. Different shot placement angles. My experiences show me that they do the opposite of the above quoted statement on terminal performance.

I will completely disagree on this statement.
Having shot and witnessed dozens of elk, moose, caribou and deer killed with Hammers only 1 deer and 1 caribou weren't DRT. Ranges from 20 yards to over 850 yards. 4 different calibers. 4 different bullet weights. Different shot placement angles. My experiences show me that they do the opposite of the above quoted statement on terminal performance.
I'm happy to hear that for sure! I was just basing that statement off my own experiences. But I'm building a big 30 cal and maybe it it'll be the difference for me. I'm glad to hear you've had a lot of DRT experiences with the hammers though. That's great to know!

I'm happy to hear that for sure! I was just basing that statement off my own experiences. But I'm building a big 30 cal and maybe it it'll be the difference for me. I'm glad to hear you've had a lot of DRT experiences with the hammers though. That's great to know!
For reference here is the list of rifle/loads used
270 WSM.
117 HH @3610fps

7saum
155 AH @ 3340fps

338 RBH (338 NMI)
260 HH @3042 fps

375 RBH (375 NMI)
270 SH @3000 fps

Last 2 with PROOF Barrels 😉

For reference here is the list of rifle/loads used
270 WSM.
117 HH @3610fps

7saum
155 AH @ 3340fps

338 RBH (338 NMI)
260 HH @3042 fps

375 RBH (375 NMI)
270 SH @3000 fps
Awesome! Thank you! I've only used the 169's at 3250fps and the 155's at 3390fps.

Great info.

I commented on your berger thread but what I left out as I didn't want to start a debate is I continually battle with myself about trying the hammers or the bulldozers. They don't have the bc's of the begers but are close and we know everything is a compromise.

My 30 nosler doesn't have enough twist for the heavies but with a 10 twist I could run the 195s which would do the job to about 800 yards at altitude which is my personal limit in ideal conditions.

Well dang this thread just cost me some money as I ordered some 196 hammers for my 30 nosler and 155s for my 7 saum.
Hahaha awesome! I'm building a 300 Norma Improved and plan to shoot the 181 Hammer Hunters out of it. And the 7mm 155's are great also.

Where can I find these long drop tubes and how do they mate to the funnel and cartridge case
Area 419 makes a good drop tube funnel with 3or 4" threaded sections, you can add more to make it as long as you like. Also has different caliber sizes for the bottom section. Midway. Brownell's etc carry them. I'm sure there are others. I got set up with a 6" drop tube for running N570, It keeps the powder from bridging on the way in and works well to get a little extra in there.