169 Hammer Hunter Terminal Performance

I will completely disagree on this statement.
Having shot and witnessed dozens of elk, moose, caribou and deer killed with Hammers only 1 deer and 1 caribou weren't DRT. Ranges from 20 yards to over 850 yards. 4 different calibers. 4 different bullet weights. Different shot placement angles. My experiences show me that they do the opposite of the above quoted statement on terminal performance.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Great info.

I commented on your berger thread but what I left out as I didn't want to start a debate is I continually battle with myself about trying the hammers or the bulldozers. They don't have the bc's of the begers but are close and we know everything is a compromise.

My 30 nosler doesn't have enough twist for the heavies but with a 10 twist I could run the 195s which would do the job to about 800 yards at altitude which is my personal limit in ideal conditions.
You'll find the Hammers preform terminally 20 to 30 grains heavier than what they are. I have no scientific explanation but over the past few years it's been my experience from deer, elk and other large game. I load for hunting rounds for a lot of friends and over the past several years not one failure or lost animal. One of the best to validate the "heavier than weight" statement was a 500-550 nilgai shot at 480 with the 117 Hammer Hunter at 480yds through both shoulders and a complete pass through DRT.

I think that's true to a degree with all solids.

I also feel like solids need more velocity to perform but there's limited experience on my part to substantiate the theory. Although many others say similar. 🤔

I think that's true to a degree with all solids.

I also feel like solids need more velocity to perform but there's limited experience on my part to substantiate the theory. Although many others say similar. 🤔
In my experience the hammers are in a class by themselves when measured against other monolithic bullets. The performance at high or low velocity, close of far is the best I've found for all around hunting scenarios. Especially in a mono bullet.

Area 419 makes a good drop tube funnel with 3or 4" threaded sections, you can add more to make it as long as you like. Also has different caliber sizes for the bottom section. Midway. Brownell's etc carry them. I'm sure there are others. I got set up with a 6" drop tube for running N570, It keeps the powder from bridging on the way in and works well to get a little extra in there.
Thanks I'll look into those. I have an RCBS kit that includes a 4"'ish drop tube but I feel a longer tube would be better, especially for rally chunky powders like N570 as you mentioned.

Hammers are the sauce, only mono that creates the internal wreckage of the Berger, seen zero deflections on elk shoulders and straight tracking deep into game. Fragmenting is the key, way more internal bleeding fast and reduces the frontal diameter so they keep trucking straight!!

I load Hammers and zero for them then run a Berger load if I have to ship one, with multiple guns.

Last edited:
Where can I find these long drop tubes and how do they mate to the funnel and cartridge case?
I made my own from refrigeration copper tubing. I flared the tube end that sits on the case mouth so I can use it up to .375 diameters
70257490-5311-4265-B2DC-DC2AB6253589.jpeg

Recent Posts