168 lrab keyholing

bigjohn

I am shooting a remington factory 7 rm rechamber to 7 stw was trying out some 168 lrab today at 300 yards with retumbo charges varied from 78.5 to 81.5 grains all bullets keyholed had this same gun out a couple weeks ago and it shot 168 Berger's in hsm ammo good only other time I had this problem was with a slow twist 204 and 40 grain v maxes I thought at 7stw velocities it would stabilize 168 lrab just fine with a 9.25 twist anybody else run into this problem thanks

i have ran the 168 LRAB in a 7wsm at 3050 with a 1-9 is they shot well , one thing I noticed tho is the jacket is paper thin, may be some slumping goin on, do the pressures seem high like heavy bolt lift or stiff recoil. when I use a concentricity tester and adjust that bullet they dent really easy

It definitely was on the hot side with the last couple rounds no stiff bolt but was starting to flatten primers I going to try some Berger 168 classic hunters with retumbo today see what they do Also going to try the 168 lrab in a 9 twist 7 rm I really hope it Is bullet slump might have to pick up some 162 eldx to try or stick with 160 ab and 140 ttsx

I am shooting a remington factory 7 rm rechamber to 7 stw was trying out some 168 lrab today at 300 yards with retumbo charges varied from 78.5 to 81.5 grains all bullets keyholed had this same gun out a couple weeks ago and it shot 168 Berger's in hsm ammo good only other time I had this problem was with a slow twist 204 and 40 grain v maxes I thought at 7stw velocities it would stabilize 168 lrab just fine with a 9.25 twist anybody else run into this problem thanks

I know a lot of people tried the 168 LRAB when they first came out and couldn't get them to shoot well. Most had good success with the 150gr LRAB, and so did I.
81.6gr H1000, COAL 3.650" gave me a nice sub moa load

You probably need at least a 9 twist to get it to stabilize properly. "Marginal Stabilization" is just that. It might settle down farther out but your accuracy is really going to suffer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.