168 tmk

Aeolus

I just got a hart built 7 stw, found its a 1-10 twist 26 inch number 4 barrel. I couldn't find brass so I bought 100 loaded nosler 175 ablr only to find they wont stableize in this rifle. So I took them back and lucky found 100 new nosler brass and am about to build a load. I have h1000 and was thinking 78-81 grains over the 168 tmk because it's the best be bullet I can find for it to hunt with. Will it stableize ?

When talking with hart the idea was a 150 nosler bt and 79 grains of 7828. But the be on that bullet is horrible.

You should be fine with a 1-10, especially at STW velocities. I would think the 160 to maybe 168 class bullets will be as heavy as you'll be able to shoot though. H1000 should also be a good choice for that bullet and get you going where you need to go.

Some will say the TMK or even SMK is not suitable for hunting but my experience is much different. I think they are a fine hunting bullet. If they don't work you have plenty of other options available as well.

How about a 168 Berger Classic Hunter? 160 Accubond? 168 or 150 LRAB?

I think 10 twist STWs are built for smaller bullets at extreme speed and moderate distance. BC and scope adjustment shouldn't be much of a concern in this type of shooting.

9 twist and now 8 twist STWs are built to be long range hammers with the heavy bullets. BCs are more of a concern as are scopes and bases with loads of adjustment.

If you are looking 600 yards and less, run the 160 Accubond and don't fixate on the BC. It will be more than enough. If you are looking at 1000, rebarrel with a faster twist?

Look into RL33 as well if you have to scratch the speed itch with the heavier bullets as well.

I had a 10" twist 7mm stw. It is now an 8" twist 7mm stw... Back when she was a 10" twist, it would do just fine one day with 171 Barnes match, then another day with slightly differing conditions would net me shotgun patterns. I settled on my old 140 nosler ab/ rl25 load and the rifle went on to kill a 6x7 mule deer buck for me at 480 yards offhand with a trotting critter...
I had it built over as there were some workmanship issues with the old build that HAD to be attended to; the rifle was still a heck of a shooter even in its gun-plumbed state though.

After a lot of research the 162 a max looks nice. I have 400 of them. I may try them out. I traded for the gun, there is no way I would have chose a 1-10. But I'll shoot this out and replace it in time.

I think that should shoot pretty well. I've shot a few Hart's and they've all shot well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.