168 berger hybrids

muliehunter

does anyone use them and how do you like them they seam to be readily avalible unlike accubonds but the gun shop I was in said their not good for hunting

The whole hybrid argument stemmed from the berger "target" and "hunting" bullet lines. Some claimed that the thicker "target" jacket caused delayed expansion and poor performance on game. Many of the first Hybrid designs were in the "target" line only. The Hybrid line features a blend of the secant and tangent nose designs that maximize ballistic coefficient while making the bullet more tolerant to seating depth/distance to the lands. VLD's can be tricky in some guns. A lot of guys have used the Hybrid on game and they've worked fine. Since then Berger has expanded its line again and added the Classic Hybrid Hunter and the Elite Hunter. Both of which have the Hybrid secant/tangent nose design.

The Classic Hybrid was designed to be shorter and SAAMI compatible while maximizing ballistic coefficient. It also has the thinner "hunting" jacket. The Elite hunter has no length restriction and maximizes BC, with the Hybrid design, and thinner jacket. I've just got done load development with the 168 Classic and my STW so I can't speak to how they do on game yet but I know what the 168 VLD will do (great performance) and can't imagine the Classic Hybrid to be too much different. I've also shot many deer with the 7mm 180 Hybrid Target and had good luck.

In my opinion, you put either one in the vitals and the animal isn't going far.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.