168-grain TTSX BT 30-06 Pa White Tail Suggestions

md66948

I haven't reloaded 30-06 for deer in 40 years. Now that I have some time on my hands, and I am running low on 30-06 for my kid's deer rifles I plan to work up some loads for 2024.

I am planning to use the Barnes 168-grain TTSX BT bullet. I am looking at the online Barnes reloading manual. I do have IMR 4895 but I would like to know if you all have some favorite powders and loads for the 30-06 that work well with the Barnes 168-grain TTSX bullet. I do plan to try different powders and loads over the next 9 months till 2024 deer season.

My rifles will be several Remington 700s and a sportorized Remington 1903A3 with the GI 4 grove barrel shorten 1".

I do have a lot of once fired Remington Brass and Federal LR Primers.

Thank You for Your Input and Suggestions!

H4350 gives good velocity and is almost temp insensitive. Start with 50 thousandths off and work from there. That is a great game bullet and has been really accurate in several rifles I've used it in.

H4350 gives good velocity and is almost temp insensitive. Start with 50 thousandths off and work from there. That is a great game bullet and has been really accurate in several rifles I've used it in.

I would like to second the .050 off the lands, and would venture to say that between 57-58g will tag a great load, primers do make one heck of a difference, so try several, start with Winchester if you have them.

There are several powders that will work for the weight range and I think you won't struggle with the powder or charge, but be prepared to play the depth game.

For whatever reason, these TTSX and TSX seem to want to be seated deeper than expected for the best groups. If they don't tune in for you, try seating deeper. YMMV

Its a 30-06 use just about any powder available for rifles will work in it. If only one powder 4350 from anyone who makes it.

Any particular reason why you would choose the 168 grain mono for whitetail? Conventional trend is to use lighter for caliber copper bullets driven fast. Just asking

Any particular reason why you would choose the 168 grain mono for whitetail? Conventional trend is to use lighter for caliber copper bullets driven fast. Just asking

Unless he shoots his animals beyond the distance at which he will get proper expansion…..it really shouldn't matter.

Without "crunching" the numbers, the 168 may actually extend the functional expansion range beyond that of a lighter bullet!

"BC's" Matter! 😉

There is also the possibility that the OP prefers to do it all with one bullet, one load, one zero…….not a bad idea. Especially if, the possibility exists of encountering something larger than your stereotypical Whitetail!

I've used that philosophy with Barnes bullets since 1992……it's worked quite well from coyotes to moose! Jus Say'n! 😉 memtb

168 barnes is quite the over kill on a white tail. I use copper exclusively for hunting and the lightest bullet works great on deer. I'm using 75 gr 257 bullets and 101 7mm bullets and no issues. Drops em like lightning and full penetration. For powders I agree with @K.E.C.

168 barnes is quite the over kill on a white tail. I use copper exclusively for hunting and the lightest bullet works great on deer. I'm using 75 gr 257 bullets and 101 7mm bullets and no issues. Drops em like lightning and full penetration. For powders I agree with @K.E.C.

I suppose that you'd find issues with my .375 AI, 270 grain Barnes on Pronghorns, or 225 TTSX's from my wife's .338 WM. then! 🙀 😂 memtb