168 Berger/300Weatherby

Stryker1188

I am looking for a load build up that I can start playing around with until my Berger Reload Manual gets here, I will be using these rounds for hunting, as the title implies I will be using 168 gr VLD Match Grades, shooting them out of a Weatherby MarkV 24" barrel, Thanks in Advance for any advice

There are lots of loads online.

Not specific to Berger 168 vld but it won't be that far off for any 168.

Go to Hogdgons web site.

Stryker, I have a lot of experience hunting with Bergers. I want to make you aware of the possibility of a few problems using a light 168 from a 300 Wby with the Berger design. The velocity could make these bullets very explosive on impact at shorter distances. Myself I would be looking at the 215 Bergers for your 300 Wby.

That said may I ask what you will be hunting and what would be your farthest shot taken at game?

Jeff

I am looking for a load build up that I can start playing around with until my Berger Reload Manual gets here, I will be using these rounds for hunting, as the title implies I will be using 168 gr VLD Match Grades, shooting them out of a Weatherby MarkV 24" barrel, Thanks in Advance for any advice

What powder do you have?

Stryker, most Mark V Weatherbys have a 26" barrel, the WBY Vanguards have 24". Either way Broz's post is what you need for it. My son's 300 Wby shoots much more accurate with the heavier bullets since he switched from the 185 Bergers. Good luck

Other companies data can be used to get you started and then its just a matter of keeping a watchful eye on pressure signs as you work up the charges. Feel free to send an email to [email protected] and we can forward some data to you to hold you over until your book arrives. We do not have recommended loads, but we do have starting and max loads for a variety of powders.

Corey Schwanz
Berger Bullet Tech Support

Hi, I will be using this round mostly on mulies, WT, elk, I took a wt at 430yds last year using HSM 168gr Bergers but want to develope my own, I am using imr4831 right now but would also like other options thanks

Hi, I will be using this round mostly on mulies, WT, elk, I took a wt at 430yds last year using HSM 168gr Bergers but want to develope my own, I am using imr4831 right now but would also like other options thanks

Recently set up a 300 wby with 215 Berger Hybrids and H-1000. Went for accuracy over max velocity and found a great load. Used it on a nice 6x6 Bull at 500 yards this year for a quick one shot kill. The bullet preformed perfectly. I shoot a 300 win sending the 215's at 3035 fps from a 28" barrel. That rifle is 24 and zero for one shot kills on many elk, deer and antelope. From 200 yards to 1285. If this was my rifle I would be loading the 215's and look for a velocity from 2800 to 2900 from your 24".

Jeff

The Berger manual shows a starting load of 69.0 gr and a maximum of 74.8 gr for that bullet and powder.

Awesome thanks guys, I will give them a try, I ultimately want to build a tack driver, with the hitting power of a freight train for those elk and if I get drawn next year Moose,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.