Looking at a 300weatherby

Hello, I have a Weatherby Vanguard in a 300 WBY mag cal. You can expect to get between 3000-3200 fps with a 180 gr bullet. Factory Federal cartridges are advertized at reaching just better than 3100 fps. Hope this helps. If you havn't yet purchased I would also consider the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I thinks it is a better choice myself. Good luck. Dr. T.

I'm not looking at a rifle sorry for the confusion. I'm looking to build a rifle. I had a 30-378 that kick like a mule and I'm just not to interested in a hunting rifle with that much shoulder. I have shot a buddy of mines 300weatherby and the recoil was just fine I thought. He took an elk last year from 420 or so and dropped him right there so I believe its enough gun. Never owned a RUM how about a conparison on the recoil issue.

There ain't no flys on the 300 Weatherby.
I owned one for long enough to shoot it a couple times (not long enough to do any load development) then sold it to my brother. Last year I traded for a 30-378. Its advantage is it burns a lot more powder recoils a lot harder makes more noise and offers a little more velocity. If you want bragging rights get a 30-378 or 300 RUM. If you want a practical rifle that will do anything the 30-378 or 300 RUM will do get the 300 Wby.

I have been shooting the 300Wby for a couple years now. Thanks to a buddy who is going on 20 years of shooting one. I have grown very fond of it. My current one is in an Accumark with an Accubrake on it. With 180 Partitions at 3300 it is almost recoiless. With 200 grain Accubonds at 3100 it jumps around a little but not a big kicker by any means. I had the Accubonds up to 3150 but started getting extractor marks on hot days. The 300Wby needs a 26" barrel to burn the IMR-7828 properly and just gets better the longer you make the barrel.

i have a 300 rum, and with a holland brake on it the kick is very minimal. did your 30-378 have a brake? they make a huge differance

I had a Weatherby since 1976. Great cartridge. It is the rfle I shoot the most. I don't know about 180 grains bullets, but I get just around 3000 fps with 200 grain Sierra or Barnes TSX with IMR 7828 or H1000. Comments from people who shot is: "It does not kick that much"

If you building one up, recommend 28 inch barrel

All this talk of loud brakes. When shooting my Weatherby's that have factory brakes or my buddies 300 RUM Sendero with a Holland brake on it, I can't tell any difference when shooting them as far as noise or concusion. I never shoot without earplugs. Now get off to one side even a little and I can tell a big difference in the sound level with a brake. That's why when they shoot I stay more behind them than beside them. This is even when I shoot a 50BMG with a rearward angled tank looking brake that will launch 1/2 inch rocks from the ground when fired from a bench. Right behind it is no worse than without it. They are anoying but I put it right up there with not standing downwind of a smoker. I just deal with it.

I wasted 20 years believing this and other rumors. I have found out that I can see a difference in high end optics, a 1 pound trigger works fine on a hunting rifle, Free-bored Weatherby's will run groups, and muzzle brakes don't bother me when I shoot. So now I'm in the process of buying high end optics, Weatherby's and putting muzzle brakes on all my rifles; I already fixed all my triggers.

Sorry abount the rant. I just had that all pent up and had to let it out somewere.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.