Berger 168 VLD 7mag

Duhawk

Newbee here, 1st time post.
Thought I'd share some results I've had using Bergers VLD, and hopefully gain a little insight from those more experienced.
I shoot what is basically a stock Remington 700 7mag, with a few modifications. Glass bedded tang, reciever, chamber. Muzzle brake on a 24" tube, timney trigger. I wasn't able to spend a ton on glass so I use a Konus Pro 6x24.

I've shot alot of different bullets. Amax, Barnes, Sierra, but Bergers have given me the best overall groupings.
I set the 168grn VLD's about .03 off the lands, used RL-22 powder (64.5grn) and use a very slight crimp. (Brass is hard to come by and I worry about neck tension on brass I've shot over 6 times).
I've shot through a chrony and my avg fps is around 2792....this is where I'd like to lean on you folks. My goal is 300-500yrd and I'd like to improve on the fps yet not sacrifice the accuracy....any suggestions on powder/charge you folks have tried?

The picture shows grouping at 100yds....6 shot but doesn't matter if 6 or 20. It's pretty the same.

Thanks

Attachments

• 6 Shot Berger.jpg
    6 Shot Berger.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
7RM, Win brass, 215M primer, ~73.0 Retumbo, 168 VLD. Stiller action, 26" Krieger barrel, McMillan stock, Jewel trigger, NF 5.5x22x56 MOAR..........3020fps

Nice shooting by the way. Looks like you have a good setup.

Tried retumbo 168vldh cci250 win.brass for the first time today. 72.3gr=3111fps av. 31sd 68 es. Didn't group as good as h1000. I need gm215m badly!!!
the s.d. was horrible also. Grouping got better the higher the charge but 72.3 is all I loaded to. Pressure was A LOT LESS than h1000 at 3050fps.

I shoot a Rem 7mm stock 24inch gun with a huskemaw scope,
Load data is 168 VLD Bergers 69.grains H1000 magnum primers .30 jump.
I am getting 2899 FPS, I did get a load that was 3057 FPS but was all over the place I went with more accurate round I dont care about getting their 1st just dropping them in there tracks.
attached is 2 shots @ 600 yard 28 clicks on scope.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
Thanks guys. I figured on having to start over with the ladder loads if I changed powders (it's what keeps me going back).

Retumbo I've got so I'll try that first. I load my Amax with Retumbo and get pretty good groupings/fps with it. I had tried it with the 168 Bergers but got better results with RL-22 (although I used nowhere near 73grns of Retumbo).

H1000 and Ramshot are other powders I've wanted to try, I'll call around to see if anyone local just may have a jug of H1000. Not holding out much hope though as powder is just as hard to find as bullets/brass once were.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.