165 tsx vs 180 tsx

the big greasy

I shoot my 300wsm and my 180 tsx at a muzzle velocity of 3000fps and will shoot 3/4 moa. Will a 165 do more damage to the vitals inside 200 yards vs the 180. The ballistics look like the 165 will hit harder and fly faster, unless I'm mistaken. Just kicking the thought around before I buy some more tips. Thanks.

Accuracy and damage. If I had to choose one, it would be the 175lrx.

I've heard the lrx is really good. I live up in canadstan, it's hard to find those, like most things. I've always liked the tsx very much over the ttsx, not sure why, I just do. Just wondered if extra speed would cause more damage, the 165 being a couple hundred feet faster than the 180, both being tsx.

I've not used Barnes bullets in the 300 WSM. I've only used them in the 338 WM and 30-06. I wouldn't expect the 165 to cause more permanent damage to the animal than the 180. The temporary wound channel is just that...temporary.

The bullets are the same diameter and will likely expand to similar dimensions. The 300 WSM has enough velocity to reliably open the 180 grain bullet. So, I wouldn't change a thing. Especially if you ever intend to use that load on Elk, Moose or grizzly bears.

You could always email or call Barnes and ask. https://www.barnesbullets.com/contact/

They are under new ownership but I think they could definitively answer that question for you. Years ago, I called them to see which bullet weight in 338 WM would work best for all game in Alaska. They recommended their 225 grain X bullet vs their 250 grain X bullet. I asked them what I would be giving up by going with the 225. He replied, "about 100 foot pounds of energy and two inchees of penetration".

So, I would expect they would know which bullet weight in 300 WSM would cause more permanent damage...if one does.