165 Gamekings in a .300 Win Mag

Overkill338

I've gotten a few different types of bullets I'm trying now. The Gamekings are up first. Going to work with the 165's for a little while, and then try some 200's.

Anyone have any reciepes for the 165's ? Right now I have a few loaded up for testing. Naturally Im working up, but the max loads I have are 74gr of IMR-4350, and 79.5gr of RL22. All seated to 3.34 OAL I'm still waiting for my RL25 to come in. I just want to push them around 3200.

What are you going to be using the 300 for. I got one and use 200 SMKs 64.5 gr. IMR 4350, CCI Mag Prime, seated to a OAL of 3.530. And they shoot just under 2800 FPS and alittle under an inch at 100 yards. Going to try them on deer this weekend, as its opening weekend here in Missouri.
-Jake

I have never tried the GameKings out of my 300. But the BC for the 200gr GameKings are .560 and the BC for the 200gr MatchKings are .565, per Sierras website. I have shot these 200gr MatchKings out to 735yds (which is the farthest I can shoot right now) and they have done the best vs anything I have tried(which are 208 A-Maxs and Berger 210 VLDs). I don't know if I'm not pushing the A-Maxs fast enough (2650 fps) or what but I can't get them to group worth a darn. And I guess I need to touch the lands on the Bergers, but really don't want to pay 45 bucks a box on them either. The load that I use for the 200gr SMKs is a very mild load. I have gotten 7 firings off the same brass and annealed them at 6 times. Primer pockets are still good and have been neck sizing since 2nd firing. My goal is to get at least 8-9 firings from this first set of brass. There has been many other people that have used the SMKs on deer and other bigger animals and they have done just fine. I guess its all up to personal preference on which one to shoot. 33 bucks a box for GameKings or 35 bucks a box for MatchKings. Thats my experience with these.
-Jake

How do Matchkings perform on game ? I was thinking they were strictly a paper puncher. If mine will shoot good on the 200 GK's, then that will become my all around bullet.

Well, Sierra doesn't recommend using them on game, but there has been a lot of people on this forum that use them and have had great results with them. I was a little unwilling about using too, but I'm going to use them on deer. Just depends on which bullet you want to use. That's the beauty of reloading and also one of the main reasons why I started, besides being able to shoot more and cheaper.
-Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.