160gr Matrix

Gotcha, thx for the heads up. I thought they were a little slower and almost used Retumbo and 4831. I wanted to error in the faster burn rate. Good to know. I know Hodgdon lists the 7977 as the best powder for velocity for .243 in a 105 and heavier bullet.

Well, I guess WE are still learning! I looked up some more data and it seems to depend a LOT on which cartridge is being loaded. I found some loads for the 7stw that are closer to what YOU thought. Very close to H1000? Again, it depends a lot on the particular cartridge. If anyone find something resembling a burn chart, I would be very interested......Rich

Have you taken the 160gr Matrix over 3200fps? In my 264WM I have taken the Woodleigh 160gr PPSN to 3261fps. I was given some old H570 powder which works well on the heaver bullets in the 264WM. Was going to purchase some of the 160gr Matrix bullets but they want a lot of cash for shipping.

Have you taken the 160gr Matrix over 3200fps? In my 264WM I have taken the Woodleigh 160gr PPSN to 3261fps. I was given some old H570 powder which works well on the heaver bullets in the 264WM. Was going to purchase some of the 160gr Matrix bullets but they want a lot of cash for shipping.

I have used a lot of the H870, which is the spherical equivalent of the 570 extruded. It was my favorite powder for years and gave better velocities than anything else, although it was really sooty! I have not exceed 3200' as I have nothing with enough capacity and/or barrel length to reach it.............Rich

I email Chris at Hodgdon and this is what he said about IMR 7977

IMR 7977 falls between IMR7828 ( a bit faster ) and H1000 ( a bit slower )
IMR 7077 has a new technology Call Enduron, it is temperature insensitive,
has a copper fouling eraser, is double-base that ads more energy per grain
and is manufactured with chemicals that are easy on the environment

I email Chris at Hodgdon and this is what he said about IMR 7977

IMR 7977 falls between IMR7828 ( a bit faster ) and H1000 ( a bit slower )
IMR 7077 has a new technology Call Enduron, it is temperature insensitive,
has a copper fouling eraser, is double-base that ads more energy per grain
and is manufactured with chemicals that are easy on the environment

Man, I have to get these new #'s down! I didn't know there were two 7000's? So 7077 is the same burning rate as 7977 but is more temp stable?............Rich

TYPO .....

I'm sure he meant 7977 ! the other two "Enduron" IMR powders are 4451 & 4166 ....

Alliant came out with the Reloder 23 & 26 recently in their bid for the "temp insensitive" powders

TYPO .....

I'm sure he meant 7977 ! the other two "Enduron" IMR powders are 4451 & 4166 ....

Alliant came out with the Reloder 23 & 26 recently in their bid for the "temp insensitive" powders

Thanks Swamplord! I knew I was a little behind, but that was really starting to confuse me............Rich

I didn't read the entire string so I apologize if I'm asking an answered question. I recently purchased a custom 26 Nosler and am looking for load data help on the for mentioned matrix ballistic 160 grain. I purchased my North West Action Works rifle with the intentions of using the 142 LRAB bullets but haven't been super impressed and would like to try a bigger bullet since I have the horsepower. I am not a super experienced reloader but am learning so any and all help given will be greatly appreciated! Has anybody tried the 160 vld in the 26 Nosler yet? There isn't any reload data out on the 26 and the 142 LRAB so I have been experimenting a bit and have no idea where to start with the matrix bullets...

200 of these bad boys on hand now (thank you Steve/Sue). options are 26 nosler and 6.5cm, gonna try both as time permits. i have a 6.5 grendel bolt gun too, might try it too just for giggles (assuming it wont get completely stuck in the barrel).

holy crap, i just ran the numbers for 2000fps (estimated for the grendel) and the darn thing would still be supersonic at 1000yds. i was just joking about loading up for it, but on a dead calm day that might actually be interesting.

[edit] used Litz's numbers from his very informative post found elsewhere on this site covering (.630 g1), and it dropped to 925yds, but i'm still floored at what these guys can do in theory.

With the 264wm if I plug in the numbers with the 3269fps that I achieved with the 160gr Woodleigh PPSN it puts the 160gr Matrix at 1150fps at 2000 yards. Not bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts