143 Hammer Hunter in 280AI on Elk

Allen Kitts

I have recently acquired a semi custom 280 AI that I am going to let my grandson hunt elk with. He will be 29 years old this year and has lots of hunting an shooting experience. I worked up a great load with the 143HH shooting 1/2 MOA to 600 yards as that is as far as we can shoot at the local range we frequent. He took an antelope last fall with it at 767 yards , bang flop, so he shoots it very well. My questions is do any of you have any experience with the 143 Hammer Hunter out of a 280AI on Elk sized critters. We are running the bullet out of Trued Model 700 long action, 26" Proof Research Barrel, Swaro X5i scope, muzzle break, right at 3250 FPS. Based on my Shooter App the ballistics are there for shots out to 700 yards while maintaining the 1800 FPS velocity suggested by Hammer. I am just asking for anyone's real world experience with this bullet and caliber. He has taken several cow elk with both a rifle, 257 Weatherby, and muzzle-loader but we are now focusing on getting him his first bull. We had an opportunity last fall but the bull was at 750 yards, in a literal hell hole, and I wouldn't let him shoot it as I was not 100% sure we could get it out or there. Just trying to avoid him shooting his first bull and being under gunned with the bullet selection and possibly losing it. I have taken lots of critters with the Hammer Hunters and love them but none of the animal taken have been the size of an Elk. Thanks in advance for any real world experiences you can share.

Good luck to your grandson. I only have similar experience. I shoot my 7 rem mag at similar velocity. 3350 fps. I have only shot elk out to 350. Worked perfectly. My wife and I shoot out to 650....the farthest our local range goes to...and 3 inch groups are the norm. I wouldn't have any problem shooting an elk out that far....the opportunity hasn't come up yet. Again...similar experience..just not super far out there shots. I wouldn't fear 600....700 might be a bit far. I'd talk to Steve at hammer bullets. He wont steer you wrong

Good luck to your grandson. I only have similar experience. I shoot my 7 rem mag at similar velocity. 3350 fps. I have only shot elk out to 350. Worked perfectly. My wife and I shoot out to 650....the farthest our local range goes to...and 3 inch groups are the norm. I wouldn't have any problem shooting an elk out that far....the opportunity hasn't come up yet. Again...similar experience..just not super far out there shots. I wouldn't fear 600....700 might be a bit far. I'd talk to Steve at hammer bullets. He wont steer you wrong
Thanks for the Reply. I have been to Hammer Bullets several times and talked with Brian and Steve on the phone many times. They have been great to deal with and love to talk shop! The fact that they are local to Montana (only a couple hours from my house) means a lot to me as well so I try and support the local manufacturers as much as possible. I have no doubt the bullet will perform as stated as I have seen them in action on smaller game, pigs, antelope and deer, and the results were fantastic. I am just trying to gather some real world experience with this bullet on elk from others here on the forum. Even though my grandson is now a man I still want to ensure every time he pulls the trigger, at least as long as I am able to go with him, that he does so knowing that his grandfather has given him the right tools to make a clean, ethical kill.

I shoot the 143 HH out of a 7saum. I took a bull fall '22 with it at 520yds. Estimate 2280fps impact velocity. The performance was excellent! The bull moved about 5 yards from where he was hit. Beautiful exit from the main part of the bullet. I could also see exits from three of the four petals. There was blood everywhere. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

I shoot the 143 HH out of a 7saum. I took a bull fall '22 with it at 520yds. Estimate 2280fps impact velocity. The performance was excellent! The bull moved about 5 yards from where he was hit. Beautiful exit from the main part of the bullet. I could also see exits from three of the four petals. There was blood everywhere. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
Can you please share your load recipe? You can PM me if you wish. Thanks.

I would also like you to share your load recipe with me, if possible. I also have a semi-custom 280AI in which I would like to try the 143 HHs. Also, how close to the lands do you seat the bullets and do you use a light crimp? You can PM me also. Thank y
This is for 280AI not 7SAUM.
I am using Nosler Brass, Fed 210M Primers, 60.0 Grains RL23. I do not know how far off the lands they are. I just pushed a few in where the die was set and tried them out. They shot great out to 600 so I loaded up a bunch more and let my grandson take it antelope hunting.

I would also like you to share your load recipe with me, if possible. I also have a semi-custom 280AI in which I would like to try the 143 HHs. Also, how close to the lands do you seat the bullets and do you use a light crimp? You can PM me also. Thank you.
Please understand this load works well in my rifle. Make sure if you try to duplicate it you start lower and work your way up. Just because this load works in my rifle does not mean it will work well in yours. Proceed with caution!!!!!!!!

I have recently acquired a semi custom 280 AI that I am going to let my grandson hunt elk with. He will be 29 years old this year and has lots of hunting an shooting experience. I worked up a great load with the 143HH shooting 1/2 MOA to 600 yards as that is as far as we can shoot at the local range we frequent. He took an antelope last fall with it at 767 yards , bang flop, so he shoots it very well. My questions is do any of you have any experience with the 143 Hammer Hunter out of a 280AI on Elk sized critters. We are running the bullet out of Trued Model 700 long action, 26" Proof Research Barrel, Swaro X5i scope, muzzle break, right at 3250 FPS. Based on my Shooter App the ballistics are there for shots out to 700 yards while maintaining the 1800 FPS velocity suggested by Hammer. I am just asking for anyone's real world experience with this bullet and caliber. He has taken several cow elk with both a rifle, 257 Weatherby, and muzzle-loader but we are now focusing on getting him his first bull. We had an opportunity last fall but the bull was at 750 yards, in a literal hell hole, and I wouldn't let him shoot it as I was not 100% sure we could get it out or there. Just trying to avoid him shooting his first bull and being under gunned with the bullet selection and possibly losing it. I have taken lots of critters with the Hammer Hunters and love them but none of the animal taken have been the size of an Elk. Thanks in advance for any real world experiences you can share.
I've taken two elk with that bullet and it works fine - although both were just under 400 yds. Although i can push that bullet to 3200 and maybe a little beyond in my 280 AI, my most accurate load is when velocity is around 3125 to 3135. I have two Ackleys with 24" barrels and one with a 26". I also took a buck with this load at about 65 yds and I'm glad I did as the destruction was awesome, but not anything like it would have been with a frangible lead core bullet.

My Montana Rifle Company 280AI has been rebarreled with a 24" 1:8 twist. I have two good hunting loads with the 143 Hammer Hunter bullet and have taken 2 bull elk and several bucks.
My loads are:
Peterson brass, Federal GM215M primer, loaded with a COAL of 3.34" to fit in my magazine.
Powder loads are:
61.5 gr H4831 @ 3100 fps. < 0.4 @ 100 yds
61 gr RL-23 @ 3100 fps. <0.4" @ 100yds

I've been playing around with the new tipped version which is the 145 HHT and used 60 gr H4831@ 3080 fps to harvest a nice buck this fall.
Hope this helps. The 280AI really likes both H4831 and RL23. I get a touch more speed with RL23.

Warren

My Montana Rifle Company 280AI has been rebarreled with a 24" 1:8 twist. I have two good hunting loads with the 143 Hammer Hunter bullet and have taken 2 bull elk and several bucks.
My loads are:
Peterson brass, Federal GM215M primer, loaded with a COAL of 3.34" to fit in my magazine.
Powder loads are:
61.5 gr H4831 @ 3100 fps. < 0.4 @ 100 yds
61 gr RL-23 @ 3100 fps. <0.4" @ 100yds

I've been playing around with the new tipped version which is the 145 HHT and used 60 gr H4831@ 3080 fps to harvest a nice buck this fall.
Hope this helps. The 280AI really likes both H4831 and RL23. I get a touch more speed with RL23.

Warren
Thanks for the info. How was the terminal performance on the 2 elk that you have taken?

Recent Posts