143 gr hammer hunter report

Whats your velocity estimate as to when they start to shed petals?
The Hammers are supposed to shed their petals completely and leave a bullet shank like a wadcutter that penetrates thru and exits, much different that Barnes that retains its petals in the mushroom shape.. They state performance down to 1,800 fps but did not test below that

I wonder how fast the 140 AH would be. I got it to just under 3500 with my 280Ai and superformance powder. Maybe 3700?
The big over-bore rounds like the 28 Nosler don't get as much benefit from the Absolute Hammers. Only minor if any improvement in speed out of a 28 Nosler whereas the 280AI and others can get 200-400 extra fps using the absolutes.

I've shot a bunch of elk with the 177 HH and it was awesome but I don't like it once they quite blowing the nose off but that's the range the 195 Bergers really take over. I always packed both and made for a great combo from zero to WAY out!!
195 bergers kill, but dont exit! shot sable, warthog, eland, roan, kudu , from 150 to about 600. no exits!

about 3 weeks before my recent hunt in South Africa , 3/24-4/6, i contacted Steve at hammer bullets to discuss better option than 195 bergers for my 28 nosler. i told him the bergers were accurate, and certainly killed on my last hunt. but no exits, which made things difficult to track with little or no bleeding, esp in the long dense grass of africa. he suggested the 143 gr hh. i was skeptical and also bought 177 gr 177. picked a load with retumbo, loaded up 15 rounds to try, and sight in with. all went well so loaded 50 for my trip. grouped under .5 moa. had a friend send me a ballistic table for this bullet at 4500 feet elevation and 3550 fps.when i arrived we check zero and confirmed data at 509yds . everything dead on! shot blesbok at 515, blue wildabeast at 680, 720, 780, and zebra at 980 and 1046. was very impressed with accuracy and performance. even on the zebra i got through and through on first shot and just under the skin on 2nd shot. the recovered bullet is a perfectly opened mono, losing one petal. all in all, i am soooo impressed! will try the 177's, but i think the 143 hh is amazing!
Solid job shooting.

195 bergers kill, but dont exit! shot sable, warthog, eland, roan, kudu , from 150 to about 600. no exits!
I start shooting them at 600, I've had most exit the ones that didn't were found in elk that made it a few yards, I personally couldn't care less about exits, not my goal or is there any need for them in my country. I absolutely do not want to push the hammers to a range they don't shear the pedals, then you get crap that happens to the Barnes.