140 gr 6.5mm Hybrid for hunting?

Has anyone used the 140 gr 6.5mm Berger Hybrid to hunt with yet and if so, what were your results?

Alan

Alan......you might consider trying some of the new 150 Matrix bullets. I haven't shot game with them as yet, but testing in media looks good! They are a thin jacket (nose) which has proven lethal in the bullets that I make. G7 is about .318 and accuracy is very good. An 8.5 twist or higher should work fine......Rich

Elkaholic,

I'm very interested in this bullet. Can anyone share any info, experiences, design parameters such as minimum expansion impact velocites, etc.

Alan

Alan....I talked to Marshal (Matrix) about this bullet when he first got hold of the jackets and was immediately interested. It is very much like the jackets that I prefer for the long range bullets I make for my 30's. It is 95/5 alloy, .020" base, and /0125" at the mouth. It is a vld design with one of the cleanest meplats I've seen. I did some minimal testing in my bullet testing media, which is primarily water and carpet to catch the expanded bullet. It mushroomed 2/3 of the way back at 2034' and still weighed 126.3 grains. At 1715' it blew the tip off in the water (similar to a Berger hybrid which took me about 400' more in the same media) and went on to ??? I couldn't find the bullet, but I'm sure it expanded to some degree based on what I have seen in the past with bullets that blow off the tip in the water. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to test anymore that day and haven't gotten back to test more. In general, they seem to expand at around 400' less than a Berger, which makes sense since the jacket is a couple thou thinner at the nose (perfect for long range). They have a tested b.c. at close to .318 G7 and are accurate. I plan on trying to test one on a bear tomorrow:D
Below is a pic of the small test I ran:
DSCF0908.jpg

I thought we figured the G7 BC to be about .326? Unless i missed something?

Rhian shot some right after and figured it closer to .318. I shot a couple across a canyon using .318 and it seemed to be pretty close. I think we need to shoot a little more yet, but that is the closest to date.....Rich

Ok, thanks Rich. I got 300 from Marshal the other day and have ladder tests loaded up for H4831, H1000, and retumbo (i found some) in my 6.5x284 with a 30" tube.

Ok, thanks Rich. I got 300 from Marshal the other day and have ladder tests loaded up for H4831, H1000, and retumbo (i found some) in my 6.5x284 with a 30" tube.

Good deal! Maybe with some more shooting, you can add some more data to the b.c. accuracy as well......Rich

Rich

So, is .318 G7 bc what I should run with? Any constant seating parameters in conjunction with the lands?

Alan

Hi Alan.....I would use .318 to start and adjust if necessary. We haven't done enough shooting yet to pin it right down to the nth' degree, but I think it is pretty close. About .020" off of the lands seems to be working pretty well for me. Maybe Rhian or Cliff can chime in on that too?......Rich

In the past few days i've been running some testing via a 660 yd Audette ladder but, unfortunately, without my beloved Oehler 35P, because someone ran off with my portable shooting bench I leave stashed up the canyon behind my house. Found what looked like some interesting accuracy nodes with a 3" 3-shot groups at 660 yds. This morning I went conventional and shot off the bench at the public range behind my house. At least I got some figures. With 42.4 gr, Rel 17, Fed 205M primer, 142 gr Matrix VLD seated .010" off the lands, I got this running 2955 fps from a 24.5" #3 Broughton.

20140809_132557_zpsufwjshcd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The two other groups were seated .03" off the lands. Guess the Matrix likes to be close.
SD for the 9 rounds was 4. Oh, and these groups were at 200 yds.
Alan

Did kind of a dual test yesterday.

I settled on using 42.3 gr of Rel 17, Fed 205m and the 142 Matrix VLD, seated .085" off the lands for 2917 fps from a 24.5" #3 Broughton barrel screwed into a Pierce CM action all set in a McMillan Rem Sporter and topped with a NF 2.5-10x42. Oh, yeah, 6.5x47 Lapua.

I then downloaded the info from the Leica web site into a micro SD card and dropped it into my new set of Leica 10x42 HD-B ranging/ballistic calc bino's. I have a nifty range 5 min up behind my house where I have plates running 5"(431 yds) to 25" (2000 yds) in size. Using only the HD-B for calculating drop I first round hit at 567, 618, 735, 860 and 1011. The HD-B is supposed to only give dope to 1000 buy mine does to 1007. I added one more 1/4 moa click for the 1011 yds and center punched the 13" H x 22" W plate. For the 1390 yd plate, I pulled the yardage, 18 deg up angle, 64 deg temp and 25.1 barometric pressure and dropped all the data into my Shooter program and nearly center punched the 24" x 24" plate. I'd say the .318 G7 BC worked.

I just realized, the HD-B's only use G1 and of course I entered G7. Oh well, it's only 2.4" difference.

Out Utah elk season starts in 2 weeks and i've got both a spike and a cow tag. One for the 6.5x47 and one for my new 338 Edge, if I get it shooting. If the 142 Matrix is good for 1600 fps expansion velocity, hunting around 10,000' AGL at about 32 F, I should be good to 1400 yds. If one adheres to the 1000 Ft Lb Energy rule I should take it no further than about 1180. Still a far bit of real estate for a 6.5x47.

Love it when it all gels together.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.