14 yr old daughter takes Bighorn

orwapitihunter

Here are the results of my daughters sheep hunt. She was hunting in Southeast Oregon and the ram is of the California Bighorn variety. She took her ram on the 6th day of the hunt with a 280 AI that I built for her mother to hunt elk with.

Now for some pics....

Sheep Country
SheepCountry.jpg

Sheep Hunter
SheepHunter.jpg

Smiling Ram Hunter
SmilingRamHunter.jpg

Ram Slayer
RamSlayer.jpg

Hunter-Rifle-Ram
HunterRamandRifle.jpg

Time to Reflect
TimeToReflect.jpg

The ram is 7 1/2 yrs old, 159 gross green B&C and 158 5/8 net green B&C. Left horn is 32" and change and the right is 30" and change.

The rifle is a Rem 700 action that I cleaned up, and fitted a Hart #5 SS barrel. 280 AI chambering pushing 140 Accubonds with 55.8 gr H4831 and Nosler brass. All sitting in a Boyds JRS lam stock. At 10+ pounds not a typical sheep rifle!

We had the help of mom and my hunting partner (seen looking at sheep country)for the first 3 days. But she ended up taking the ram after they left. Which left me guiding, coaching, skinning, boneing, and packing.

The ram was taken about 2.5 to 3 miles from the road in one of the most rugged drainages in the hunt area.

I just can't stop smiling!!!

Well she practiced to shoot out to 500 but hoped for <300.
When the opportunity came it was 110yrds.
She knocked him down with the first shot, but he regained his feet and she knocked him down with the second shot as well. Both were a bit high behind the shoulder.

Wow, that is awesome! Gongrats to your daughter. Those will be some incredible memories for the two of you. Especially with that great ram to look at.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Beautiful pictures, awesome trophy, PRICELESS EXPERIENCE HUNTING WITH YOUR DAUGHTER!!!
Can only dream for a hunt like that in the future with my daughter, she is only 3 years old.:)
Thanks for posting.
Another great example of why I LOVE this site.

That is GREEEAAAAAAT (as Tony would say)
I wish my daughter could get her first critter. She hasn't hunted for a while mainly due to college.
While I've shot so many rams I lost count, mine just fall over, if hit, but then again they are just made of steel.
A four legged ram is on my list of hunts to do.
Nice pics too!

Really enjoyed those pictures. Congratulations to you both!
I envy you, mother and I wanted a daughter but the good Lord gave us three boys.

Great adventure, lots of work and a beautiful happy ending!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts