131 grain hammer hunter load development for my 6.5 PRC

I'm looking for some load data on the 131 Hammer Hunter for my 6.5 PRC. 22" proof 7.5 twist barrel. I have ADG brass and Hornady as well. CCI LRP in both regular and magnum. Powder options available to me are RL26, H1000, Retumbo, IMR8133, H4831SC, and H4350. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the Hammer line of bullets so any other feedback as well would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

View attachment 264177View attachment 264178
Sweet Rifle. I was going to suggest what ckjworks said.

I ran into some keyholes with the 131 Hammer out of a 1-8 twist Ruger Long Range Hunter. 3 out of 10 rounds keyholed at 300 yds. None at 100 . Im thinking now to switch to the 124"s

Your 1-7.5 twist might be OK.
I ran into Key Holes with the Absolute 129 hammers and 137 Hammer Hunters out of my 6.5x284 with a 1:8 twist. 124's its eats up around the 29xx node.

I ran into Key Holes with the Absolute 129 hammers and 137 Hammer Hunters out of my 6.5x284 with a 1:8 twist. 124's its eats up around the 29xx node.
I TT Steve at Hammer yesterday. Super nice guy and assured me my 7.5 twist will handle the 131's. Bullet was actually designed to run at that twist rate. That being said though it seems these bullets may not be picky about seating depth but they sure seem to be picky about twist rate?

I TT Steve at Hammer yesterday. Super nice guy and assured me my 7.5 twist will handle the 131's. Bullet was actually designed to run at that twist rate. That being said though it seems these bullets may not be picky about seating depth but they sure seem to be picky about twist rate?
There not picky about twist rate they are built accordingly for different twist rates for example the121 gr hammer hunter versus 124 gr hammer one is for 1.9 and faster the other1.8 and faster the 131 gr was built for 1.7.5 and faster these bullets are not one shoe fits all they are designed to give more options for diff twist rates for the same cal I dont know of any other bullet manufacturer that offers that I also think if you had a special project or bullet you need designed hammer can accomodate that too I talked to Steve one time ordered his bullets three diff weights for three diff twists I have those working good now I will work with the absolute hunters a twea ked version of the hammer hunter hope my post helps

There not picky about twist rate they are built accordingly for different twist rates for example the121 gr hammer hunter versus 124 gr hammer one is for 1.9 and faster the other1.8 and faster the 131 gr was built for 1.7.5 and faster these bullets are not one shoe fits all they are designed to give more options for diff twist rates for the same cal I dont know of any other bullet manufacturer that offers that I also think if you had a special project or bullet you need designed hammer can accomodate that too I talked to Steve one time ordered his bullets three diff weights for three diff twists I have those working good now I will work with the absolute hunters a twea ked version of the hammer hunter hope my post helps
I get what you're saying but when I read what some others have posted in my short thread they've experienced Key holes with a small variance of barrel twist rate from suggested twist rate for the bullet. I'm not complaining but just pointing out my observation from a few others comments. I'm not worried about as my rigs are at faster or suggested twist rate and I understand the bullet is designed to run at that twist rate or faster.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying but when I read what some others have posted in my short thread they've experienced Key holes with a small variance of barrel twist rate from suggested twist rate for the bullet. I'm not complaining but just pointing out my observation from a few others comments. I'm not worried about as my rigs are at faster or suggested twist rate and I understand the bullet is designed to run at that twist rate or faster.
Just go by the recommended twist rate or faster and you will have no problem

From the LRH Hammer spreadsheet.

1647796787721.png

Did you ever hear back from Steve? Working on the same 131HH for my 24" proof 7.5 twist. Retumbo, H1000, N160, and H869 at my disposal for now.
I only tested with RL 26. I ended up going to the 144 Berger as I never got the 131's to shoot to my liking. My data is above in the screen shot. I can tell you faster powder usually is best with the Hammers.

Rl26 with lr primers should work well. No mag primers. I haven't loaded the 131's but have with the 124's quite a bit. I would expect to get to about 3350 fps with the 131g Hammer Hunter. Start rl26 at 56g and work up from there.