12GA Rounds for Grizz?

If I were the man designated to carry the shotgun, I would carry my old ( early 1976) Rem 1100, 12 gauge with the slug barrel and rifle sights. Of all the rifled slugs I've shot Brenneke slugs with the zinc washer on the back are the most accurate. I have several boxes of those stashed back. I have bought and have several boxes of the new Federal Premium, Truball Deep Penetrator. But I haven't taken any to the range yet. I'm curious to see how they group.

Good luck.

I doubt that I will ever hunt in Grizzly country, but would like comments on the sidearm I would probably take....unless you guys kill it.....
I have a Raging Bull in Ruger .480 with a 10" barrel. It weighs 4 pounds so would be lighter than a second rifle and its a revolver so would be less likely to malfunction. I have some ammo with a very strange bullet, called a Penetrator. The bullet looks like it is designed to fragment into four pieces. Would this suffice....assuming I didnt slip in my own defecation at one of those things charging me?

10" barrel would take a long time to draw. Better off with a berry bullet that copper covered. It flatten, but doesn't come apart. It will penetrates better. I carried a 500 Smith in a 4" with 325gr Berry bullets. That was when I hunted with a bow. Recoil is heavy too. I don't know if I could get a second shot off or not. It's running at about 3100fp @ 2100 fps if remember correctly. Using H110 and large rifle primer. The loads were chronographs too.

I doubt that I will ever hunt in Grizzly country, but would like comments on the sidearm I would probably take....unless you guys kill it.....
I have a Raging Bull in Ruger .480 with a 10" barrel. It weighs 4 pounds so would be lighter than a second rifle and its a revolver so would be less likely to malfunction. I have some ammo with a very strange bullet, called a Penetrator. The bullet looks like it is designed to fragment into four pieces. Would this suffice....assuming I didnt slip in my own defecation at one of those things charging me?
That will certainly work, but the big question is can you hit a small moving target when being attacked. I say small moving target because you would more than likely have to hit the brain to stop it.

I got to be very good shot in Vietnam with my 45. So can I steady yes. Head shot maybe. Depends on what happening at the time. I know of more than one that stop them with 44Mag. I don't know if they were head shots or not. I know of one that was taken out with a 20Ga, and last round. I believe it was a head shot.

I have some ammo with a very strange bullet, called a Penetrator. The bullet looks like it is designed to fragment into four pieces. Would this suffice...
The .480 Ruger is a potent revolver cartridge. I think slightly preferable to the .454 Casull, for bear defense.

But I wouldn't choose that bullet. Would recommend a heavy for caliber, hard cast lead bullet. A bullet with a large flat nose. Hard cast lead bullets don't expand, and a heavy for caliber bullet penetrate deeply.

That fragmenting into four pieces bullet would likely stop a smaller bear. But might lack penetration on a big boy.

I hunted with a guy that used a 1100. His name was old 1 shot. Because his 1100 would jamb up.
Mine never jams, then again, I am not lazy on gun maintenance.

Many people do not shoot pumps enough to ever be proficient with them. I have hunted coyotes for a long time, and over the years, the 870s have been the mainstay of many of my hunting partners. I have seen a LOT of problems with guys not being familiar with follow-up shots with a pump, especially from guys that only shoot their pump on game in the field.

Last edited:
1100's can have reliability issues, but it's mostly due to shells that don't cycle the action well or maintenance. I'd take a 870 over a 1100 because of reliability. Running one right isn't hard to learn. Just work the action the full length of the stroke with authority. But all these shotguns are mechanical and can have issues. It's a simple matter of choice.

The problem with all of these is that people do not practice, gun sits around forever, then when they use it, they have no muscle memory of how to run them. I have seen a lot of problems from guys that try and pump and follow through on a running coyote. It was all they could do to cycle the action, then re-acquire the target was a free show. The same guys would not maintain their semi-autos either, family, job, and duties on house maintenance took all their time, they needed to get in my truck and go hunting just to get a day off!

Semi-autos rely on the ammunition to operate the action. Pump action shotguns will feed and function on any ammo. Big difference. And why a pump is the only way to go, IMO.

Don't blame the pump action shotgun because of an incompetent operator. Fuel dispensers don't work either, if ya don't know how to operate them.