Tundra grizz

Yes, the weather can be iffy. We usually went late August, early September with snow at times. You were west of the Dalton. Yes, the planes are weather dependent, as is a lot of the travel up there. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Nice one!
I have a co-worker that just spent 2 weeks hiking and rafting in the Brooks Range. Saw plenty of tracks, but never actually saw a bear.

I used to live and work in Brooks Range. I forgot how crappy August weather can be. I was an extra 7-8 days trying to get out because the planes couldn't get through. I camped near the Nigu river which drains into the Coalville River. Saw a hundred or so caribou. We shot a couple. Lots of wolves, a moose and 4 rams seen.
Sounds like a great hunt. Hunted just south of Atigun pass back in 1989 or 90.
we saw two boar grizzlys digging up ground squirrels. I never thought I would see boars together like that. Judged them at just under 8 foot. I had a tag, but my partner did not. I kick myself for never shooting one. Congrats on yours sir.

Last edited:
Spectacular country up there. Did a 15 day spring Grizz hunt in the Ivishak River drainage below Kaktovik back in the day when I was young. 20-25 below every day....the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Keep in mind...every Inland/Mountain Grizzly is a trophy.
Well done.
Spike

20190612_111554.jpg

Recent Posts