12GA Rounds for Grizz?

Yes, I load the tungsten buckshot. I don't know of any source of factory loaded tungsten buckshot.
But the tungsten buckshot pellets are available for purchase. Expensive! Tungsten pellets are expensive, no matter the size of the pellets.
I only consider the tungsten buckshot load superior for head shots. Be aware, tungsten buckshot will shoot really tight patterns. So no need to wait till they're 15yds distant. I'd be confident with their lethality to the head of a bear at 35yds. I'd likely shoot at ~25yds. Maybe 30yds...

Pattern the buckshot from your shotgun on cardboard, so you have an idea of POI and pattern density. Before bear defense use!

For body shots, use Brenneke slugs. Not tungsten buckshot.

Last edited:
Well I could pay you back in interest...
When you refer to Tungsten are you talking about the 18g/c^3 load?

I'll be honest, it isn't a reply I'd have thought I'd see, as it isn't a commercial option as far as I know. Federal did have a buckshot using it I saw a few months back but it looked as though they were clearancing it to discontinue it.

I've often thought it would be an interesting shot to test, but I haven't caught any non-gel testing of the large shot size or even anecdotal notes of it being used on game. 7 shot and 9 shot for ducks/geese/turkey are about all I've seen.

It being round shot did you find that it wanted to follow angled or rounded surfaces, glance off, follow bone structures instead of penetrate at all?

Maybe towards the edges of the patterns?

Shooting rounded tree trunks may show this as well as the bear skull/bones, would be interesting to see a few runs with it and a super slow motion camera.

Would be an interesting big cat defense load for Africa I would imagine.

It's interesting to me to read Peter Capstick's opinion on cat defense in Africa, he poked fun at America's love for 00 Buck and if I remember correctly he used #4 Buck for tracking wounded leopards. His experience showed far better penetration and stopping than 00.

Yes, I load the tungsten buckshot. I don't know of any source of factory loaded tungsten buckshot.
But the tungsten buckshot pellets are available for purchase. Expensive! Tungsten pellets are expensive, no matter the size of the pellets.
I sell tungsten drop shot sinkers and as phorwath says they are expensive.

Here's a weight comparison of various pellet sizes, Lead versus TSS pellets, for those interested.

Notice that my #1B TSS pellets weigh about 1.2 times more than #00B Lead.
And my #0000B TSS pellets weigh ~2.5 times more than #00B Lead.

Combine that additional weight in a smaller TSS pellet diameter, and pellets that don't deform upon impact with bone or concrete, and it means big-time RETAINED DOWNRANGE VELOCITY, and PENETRATION.

If you can capture TSS pellets after firing them into a sand bank, they can be reloaded. Basically good as new. No pellet deformation.

Lead to TSS Pellet Comparison.png

I don't have access to pictures of the TSS buckshot loads I patterned on cardboard from my winter home/computer. Won't for another ~6 weeks. Just understand that TSS buckshot will shoot exceptional tight patterns, because the pellets are all perfectly round spheres, which don't deform. They remain perfect spheres, and therefore fly with much less dispersion than lead pellets. Lead pellets become deformed during shot column compression within the plastic shot cup, during quick acceleration down the barrel.

Because TSS buckshot doesn't deform upon impact, we've found the wound channels on body hits on big game don't cause as large a permanent wound channel, and flesh damage, as with soft lead buckshot pellets. Like shooting thru an animal with a non-expanding full metal jacket bullet with a rifle. Animals don't bleed internally as much as is experienced with lead buckshot. So I don't recommend body shots on large game with TSS buckshot.

Head shots should kill brain function. Instant death on charging bears, with a head shot.

Last edited:
I'm not hunting bear with my 870. I'm stopping bears at close ranges.

Boom, bingo...........

what would be really interesting is to poll all the people who've chimed in on this thread and see how many of them have actually been on the ground in the woods with a G-Bear..........
I have more experience with grizzlies than I do with brownies.
At no point did I ever carry a shotgun. Usually carried a Model 70 crf in .338 Win Mag, or a .458 Win Mag. I also carried a Remington 7600 carbine in 30.06 in the thicker stuff.
Used a .338 on a grizzly I shot at 17 paces. A client shot a grizzly at 33 yards with his .375 H&H. I carried my .458.
A guide I worked for used an Ithaca 12 ga on a grizzly. Straight on, standing up in the chest with a slug. Tipped him over backwards. Sorry, don't remember what type he used.

That's the range slugs come into prime time. Maximum speed and knockdown affect, just off the muzzle. Multiple quick shots with a pump action. Dead bear 🐻

Hey guys, we have a long hunt in the heart of grizzly territory this year in Wyoming (archery)

We will have the call guy carry the short shotgun for defense in the timber.

Curious what rounds everyone uses or suggests would be the best? Slugs? Buck?

Thanks!
Never killed a bear or had one charge but the brenneke black magic 3", Dixie terminator 3" 720gr solid hardcast flat point slug and Dixie tri-ball which is 3" mag 3 pellet hard cast buckshot would work decent.