124 grn Hammer Hunters

Tommyjohn53

I'm loading up some 6.5 PRC 124 grn. Hammer Hunters and was wondering if anybody is loading these too and what is the seating depth of the bullet and OAL are you seating them at? Thanks in advance for your replys

I'm loading up some 6.5 PRC 124 grn. Hammer Hunters and was wondering if anybody is loading these too and what is the seating depth of the bullet and OAL are you seating them at? Thanks in advance for your replys
Every gun/barrel is different so that is why I start with projectiles .030 off the lands to find my best load. After that, I use the recommended Berger method for seating the projectile for fine tuning. This method has worked very well for me with minimal shots. Good luck and be patient.

If you are looking for top end velocities use non-mag primers and RE26. If you are concerned with temperature sensitivity, then RE23 is a good choice. Assuming that you are talking about a hunting rifle, just load to magazine length and work up your charge from there. Hammer bullets tend to shoot well regardless of distance. However, once you find your load, tweaking the OAL usually helps. Most of my Hammer loads are loaded about .100" off the rifling; some more and others less.

You may also experiment with crimping the bullet. Plenty of posts here on that. Personally, I've had more consistent results without crimping while other loads seem to prefer it. Buy plenty of bullets and get going. LOL

If you are looking for top end velocities use non-mag primers and RE26. If you are concerned with temperature sensitivity, then RE23 is a good choice. Assuming that you are talking about a hunting rifle, just load to magazine length and work up your charge from there. Hammer bullets tend to shoot well regardless of distance. However, once you find your load, tweaking the OAL usually helps. Most of my Hammer loads are loaded about .100" off the rifling; some more and others less.

You may also experiment with crimping the bullet. Plenty of posts here on that. Personally, I've had more consistent results without crimping while other loads seem to prefer it. Buy plenty of bullets and get going. LOL
There was some good info this morning on this same subject check the forum this morning on the 124 gr hammer and 6.5 prc covers all you need too know

Hammer Hunter Load Data, (See page 1, Post 8)
Search this. The post is by GLTaylor. He has constructed a great chart with all the loads guys on here have tried and had success with. Lots of submissions.