effectiveness of 6.5 PRC with 124 grain Hammer Hunter on elk

Thanks. I just have a bunch of IMR4831. I've just looked in all my reloading books and haven't seen anything on N165. Where do you get reloading data on it for the 6.5PRC?
burn-rate-color.jpg

N165 is item 145 on the burn rate chart. Find powders you can find data on that surrounds the powder then if you can find the opposing powders then you can get an idea of a starting point then just do a typical ladder with what powder your using starting on the low side. Hope this helps

I'm getting 3300 plus out of my 26 in 6.5 prc with 124 hammer hunters N165

@Hard rock wow that is smoking. I'm not even close with 60.8 gr of retumbo with the 123 hammer dead blows. I'm around 3140 with a 26" barrel. How much N165 are you using and what's your coal? I have couple lbs of N165 I can play with. Thanks
Retumbo is probably a bit slow for the 124 Hammer weight🤔

60.0gr H4831sc and a Fed 215M will get me 3,190 ft/sec with the 124HH in my 23.5" Proof bbl. What charge are you using to reach 3,300 ft/sec?

Thanks. I just have a bunch of IMR4831. I've just looked in all my reloading books and haven't seen anything on N165. Where do you get reloading data on it for the 6.5PRC?

@Hard rock wow that is smoking. I'm not even close with 60.8 gr of retumbo with the 123 hammer dead blows. I'm around 3140 with a 26" barrel. How much N165 are you using and what's your coal? I have couple lbs of N165 I can play with. Thanks

Check out the Absolute Hammer Load Data Thread, lots of info over there that GLTaylor has been diligently recording.

View attachment 259192
N165 is item 145 on the burn rate chart. Find powders you can find data on that surrounds the powder then if you can find the opposing powders then you can get an idea of a starting point then just do a typical ladder with what powder your using starting on the low side. Hope this helps
Thanks Longtine88, appreciate the help.

Check out the Absolute Hammer Load Data Thread, lots of info over there that GLTaylor has been diligently recording.
Thanks, I'll try that too.

60.0gr H4831sc and a Fed 215M will get me 3,190 ft/sec with the 124HH in my 23.5" Proof bbl. What charge are you using to reach 3,300 ft/sec?

Retumbo is probably a bit slow for the 124 Hammer weight🤔
58.3 grs cci 250 mag primer case bullet oal 2.940 26in proof curtis Axiom action three lug 60 degreebolt throw be careful and work up allways start low and work up it seems safe in my rifle but may not be in yours sorry for the slow response my throating on my barrel was done by straight jacket armory carbon fiber proof barrel I'm around .20 off lands

You're in good shape with the 124 HH. They hit hard.

Here's Steve's (Hammer owner) load for a Browning Hells Canyon: (Don't start with this load!)

Bertram brass
wlr primer
124HH
64g n560 (max load)
2.90 aol
3,470 fps

I don't know for sure if this is the correct forum for this and apologize if it isn't. I'm sure there are members using this and was just wondering if any body can help me with their results and recommendations or steer me to the right resource. I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anything on point.

Thanks
If you can reliably put it where it has to be it will work, but on an animal that large you have no margin of error with such a light bullet.

Set your absolute maximum range at however many yards it is that you can make a cold bore shot 100% of the time with your hunting combo on a 6-8" circle and work from there.

The 6.5's have been proven the world over more than adequate on all large game but rarely at distances over 100yds for the bulk of the last century.

If I were looking to a dedicated elk round it would be a 7mm or .30 cal minimum just to give me a little larger margin of error.

Recent Posts