effectiveness of 6.5 PRC with 124 grain Hammer Hunter on elk

mrkkid

I don't know for sure if this is the correct forum for this and apologize if it isn't. I'm sure there are members using this and was just wondering if any body can help me with their results and recommendations or steer me to the right resource. I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anything on point.

Thanks

Can't speak directly to your question but I shot the 124gr Hammer from a 6.5 Creedmoor and hit a whitetail in the chest as it faced me. The bullet exited out a rear quarter. The deer went the usual 30yds and was done. You would easily get another 200 ft/sec from a PRC.

FWIW - I used a 181 Hammer (30Nosler) on a bull elk and it dropped him in seconds. He literally went still in another 10 sec.

Thanks, and WOW how big was the bull?
Bull Elk 2.JPG

Last edited:
I recently had a chance to go on a feral cattle hunt with my 6.5 PRC using 123 dead blow hammers. I took a shot through his front shoulders at 335 yds in the pouring rain. Right through both of his shoulder paddles and ended up just under the skin. Around half the bullet deformed and lost its petals somewhere in his cavity with an excellent wound channel. He ran around 30 yds before taking a few steps backwards and rolling over dead. I shot him there on purpose to test my 6.5 PRC. That's only big bull so far as I will do more testing next time I have a chance to get up there. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a big bull elk with it.

My son actually made sea salt and crushed pepper grilled back straps with stove top stuffing. The cleanest and freshest meat you can find and not gamy at all!!!

Attachments

• 4059ECC0-959B-4352-9F1C-AF076A5FCFA5.jpeg
    4059ECC0-959B-4352-9F1C-AF076A5FCFA5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 725
  • E2CD7304-15C5-49B6-8C7C-CBDCF5B76D5B.jpeg
    E2CD7304-15C5-49B6-8C7C-CBDCF5B76D5B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 645
Last edited:
I recently had a chance to go on a feral cattle hunt with my 6.5 PRC using 123 dead blow hammers. I took a shot through his front shoulders at 335 yds in the pouring rain. Right through both of his shoulder paddles and ended up just under the skin. Around half the bullet deformed and lost its petals somewhere in his cavity with an excellent wound channel. He ran around 30 yds before taking a few steps backwards and rolling over dead. I shot him there on purpose to test my 6.5 PRC. That's only big bull so far as I will do more testing next time I have a chance to get up there. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a big bull elk with it.
Gosh that's even more than I was thinking about.........