120 Grain .257 Speer

Nomosendero

I had pretty much forgotton about Speer until a couple of months ago, I decided to try the .308 165 Boat Tail and was blown away with it's accuracy, beating out the 168BT & 168 A-Max in my rifle.
Anyway, I noticed the .257 cal 120 Boat Tail lists a .480 BC, rather high for a .257 & may be an inflated number. I hear it is soft, which is what I want> Does anyone have a track record with this bullet?

I had pretty much forgotton about Speer until a couple of months ago, I decided to try the .308 165 Boat Tail and was blown away with it's accuracy, beating out the 168BT & 168 A-Max in my rifle.
Anyway, I noticed the .257 cal 120 Boat Tail lists a .480 BC, rather high for a .257 & may be an inflated number. I hear it is soft, which is what I want> Does anyone have a track record with this bullet?

I use it in 25-05 to kill deer and antelope. Works perfectly for this so far.
RF

I shoot the Speer 120 gr Btsp in my Kimber 25-06. I never shot them in any caliber prior, but a friend of mine gave me some, I was having accuracy issues with the gun so I tried these. I didn't get the smallest groups with these but usually sub moa and they shoot the most consistent in this gun. On deer I am very pleased, I shoot ballistic tips in my other rifles but these bullets give similar results. We have killed several deer coyotes and bobcats with this bullet. As far as the BC it does seem high, I may shoot this weekend if so I will shoot out to 500 yes and see.

I grew up in Northern Mi. (a Yooper) when there was an abundance of white tails. Remington chambered the first factory 25-06 in 1969 and I bought a BDL in 1970. I can not tell you how many deer I shot with 120 AND 100 grain Speers. They were very accurate and absolutely deadly on deer. I brought it with me to North Id. and shot several more deer and a couple of black bears. Almost all of the deer dropped in their tracks, and the few that moved at all, only made it a few yards. I would not hesitate to use the old Speer hot core........Rich

I grew up in Northern Mi. (a Yooper) when there was an abundance of white tails. Remington chambered the first factory 25-06 in 1969 and I bought a BDL in 1970. I can not tell you how many deer I shot with 120 AND 100 grain Speers. They were very accurate and absolutely deadly on deer. I brought it with me to North Id. and shot several more deer and a couple of black bears. Almost all of the deer dropped in their tracks, and the few that moved at all, only made it a few yards. I would not hesitate to use the old Speer hot core........Rich

Elk, thanks for the info. Me and my brothers have used the 25-06 for years & have taken many Whitetails, Hogs & Varmits here in AR & alot of Mule Deer & Antelope in WY as well. I have tried about all of the 257 cal Game bullets & most have done well. My 25-06 I have used the last 10 years or so is actually a 25-06 AI Sendero that Kirby Allen set up for me.

I use a 300WM Sendero for long range and bigger animals, but feel the 25-06AI is fine for Varmits as far as I can hit them, Antelope out to 600 yds. at least & Large Deer out to 400-450 with proper shot presentation. I am speaking in terms of terminal performance. In that context if the Speer has indeed a .480 BC, it could be optimal for those ranges. If so, I will reserve the high dollar bullets for my .264 & .300, where the increased terminal performance will make it logical to use these bullets at the longer ranges.
Thanks

I shoot the Speer 120 gr Btsp in my Kimber 25-06. I never shot them in any caliber prior, but a friend of mine gave me some, I was having accuracy issues with the gun so I tried these. I didn't get the smallest groups with these but usually sub moa and they shoot the most consistent in this gun. On deer I am very pleased, I shoot ballistic tips in my other rifles but these bullets give similar results. We have killed several deer coyotes and bobcats with this bullet. As far as the BC it does seem high, I may shoot this weekend if so I will shoot out to 500 yes and see.

I look forward to that report!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.