117 hammer hunter on NV mulie

Schnyd112

Had success earlier this year on an antelope on my first solo big game animal. Took them out again for mule deer. 117 hammer hunter, .270 wsm, 187 yards, have hunted hard on every spare moment. We were looking for a monster but never ran into him. Cold, snow, rain and big wind this weekend. The deer were hunkered down and tough to find.

Was able to hunt with my brother, something we haven't done in probably 15 years. Saw some great country, passed on a younger deer last week but couldn't let this guy walk. We saw him early in the day but he gave us the slip. Rather than push it we continued the hunt, seeing some scattered does way below us every now and then. Found him again in a real nasty ravine, hiding in the rocks to stay out of the weather. Watched him in his bed for maybe 15 minutes before he got uncomfortable. He stood up and took about a step and a half before I dropped the hammer. He walked a couple steps and was out of sight.

we headed down below him, hoping to see him piled up in the bottom, saw nothing. Walked back to where he was hit, found hair and a couple spots of bright red blood. Next blood had chunks of lung and my brother went full bloodhound. I was marking trail and he was up ahead finding more and more blood. He went down less than 40 yards from impact, never even made it to the bottom of the ravine.

We know there are better out there but we just never ran into them this season. I think I may have brother hooked again, we had some tough hunts and put on some serious mountain miles. There is some really pretty country with high desert sage and aspen. Suffered through ugly weather this week and it paid off.

Took the top of the heart, atrium and aorta, off of this one and toasted both lungs. Inside the rib cage on entry side was maybe 1.5-2", about the same sized exit on the far side and the bullet punched a quarter sized hole through the hide. Not long range by any means but there is no reason to make it harder than it need to be. With the wind this weekend I definitely wasn't going to chance a long shot. I've tested in 10 mph out to 650, this was easily 15-20 mph steady wind with gusts that would make us question why we were there.

Attachments

• E904C364-726F-4201-B774-A2659BDC45C5.jpeg
    E904C364-726F-4201-B774-A2659BDC45C5.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 489
  • 4BB25CA3-4E56-4547-86EB-C3747D637219.jpeg
    4BB25CA3-4E56-4547-86EB-C3747D637219.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 447
  • 360F1BAF-0070-49A2-A239-914CC4FC3837.jpeg
    360F1BAF-0070-49A2-A239-914CC4FC3837.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 439
  • 3FF66808-5664-444A-B0FE-B813404071EF.jpeg
    3FF66808-5664-444A-B0FE-B813404071EF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 452
  • 024F8240-97DE-46D2-885F-BF2ABCC0A39C.jpeg
    024F8240-97DE-46D2-885F-BF2ABCC0A39C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 451
Congrats on the buck - nice one. Relish the memories as they come usually one at a time and are often hard earned. Fortunately theY last way longer than it took to make them.

From SW Colorado to NV. Now that's a muley... Addicting isn't it. Big deer are fun like accurate rifles.. Getting ready for my local muley deer hunt ..

From SW Colorado to NV. Now that's a muley... Addicting isn't it. Big deer are fun like accurate rifles.. Getting ready for my local muley deer hunt ..

Not much more exciting than getting up in the steep stuff, where the hills fall away on both sides, trying to find deer that may have never seen two legged predators. Especially when Mother Nature is trying to make it clear she does not want you in the mountains.

Always a little bit of regret right after pulling the trigger, all that glassing, preparation and dreams of cactus headed bucks is past; the season is over and it's time for the not so glorious march out. Didn't last long this time. those antlers will bring fond memories of a hard season, a great hunting partner and sore knees.

Good luck on yours. I've wanted to hunt Colorado, or any state for that matter, but have yet to find the time and the means to make it happen.

In getting the skull ready to be bleached, I found it has a hole in his skull. Has anyone ever seen this? I've bleached a handful of deer skulls but have never seen a hole like this. It's rounded in around all the edges but goes right through into the brain cavity.

Attachments

• 4E5048A8-73BE-4001-900B-6200B925B5B7.jpeg
    4E5048A8-73BE-4001-900B-6200B925B5B7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
Had success earlier this year on an antelope on my first solo big game animal. Took them out again for mule deer. 117 hammer hunter, .270 wsm, 187 yards, have hunted hard on every spare moment. We were looking for a monster but never ran into him. Cold, snow, rain and big wind this weekend. The deer were hunkered down and tough to find.

Was able to hunt with my brother, something we haven't done in probably 15 years. Saw some great country, passed on a younger deer last week but couldn't let this guy walk. We saw him early in the day but he gave us the slip. Rather than push it we continued the hunt, seeing some scattered does way below us every now and then. Found him again in a real nasty ravine, hiding in the rocks to stay out of the weather. Watched him in his bed for maybe 15 minutes before he got uncomfortable. He stood up and took about a step and a half before I dropped the hammer. He walked a couple steps and was out of sight.

we headed down below him, hoping to see him piled up in the bottom, saw nothing. Walked back to where he was hit, found hair and a couple spots of bright red blood. Next blood had chunks of lung and my brother went full bloodhound. I was marking trail and he was up ahead finding more and more blood. He went down less than 40 yards from impact, never even made it to the bottom of the ravine.

We know there are better out there but we just never ran into them this season. I think I may have brother hooked again, we had some tough hunts and put on some serious mountain miles. There is some really pretty country with high desert sage and aspen. Suffered through ugly weather this week and it paid off.

Took the top of the heart, atrium and aorta, off of this one and toasted both lungs. Inside the rib cage on entry side was maybe 1.5-2", about the same sized exit on the far side and the bullet punched a quarter sized hole through the hide. Not long range by any means but there is no reason to make it harder than it need to be. With the wind this weekend I definitely wasn't going to chance a long shot. I've tested in 10 mph out to 650, this was easily 15-20 mph steady wind with gusts that would make us question why we were there.
I remember those days congrats on a nice mule deer a few years back I was either headed too Colorado or Wyoming maybe I'll make another one while I still can

Nice big bodied muley! Beautiful 3x3 rack. Definitely good mass to it. That buck wasn't gonna get much bigger, if any, then he was. Love that country too...

Nice buck! Nevada products Large Mule deer. They have drop down some, because of their state congressmen changed some rules several years ago. My brother shot a Mule deer there several years ago that was a 2 point. It scored somewhere around 134.

Last edited: