Another Hammer Kill (MT Mulie)

Country Bumpkin

A coworker and I traveled to MT this past week for a guided Mulie hunt. This was a real treat for me, I've never done anything guided before (other than white water rafting). This was a "work trip", a reward for my coworker and I, such an amazing gift for us (I would have never dreamt of paying for a guided hunt, but after having experienced this one, I'm going to start saving to go again in a few years). It took me a few days to get used to people doing things for me. I wouldn't say I got used to it, but it became less awkward once I finally accepted it as part of the deal. The entire crew was amazing and I can't believe how many critters we saw (Mule Deer, Elk and Turkeys).

Once our guide and all the other guides learned that we actually like to hike (which is what we are used to in Idaho general units), they started sharing notes and sending us to all the areas that their clients weren't willing/able to get to). My coworkers deer was the result of a 3 hour horseshoe hike around a big basin rim with lots of stopping to glass (my kind of fun). We got to a point of having nothing else to look at after our long sneak and it was time to remove some layers and b-line to the truck. We all took a few minutes to get situated, get our gear back in packs (all completely skylines because we'd already glassed down the ridges into the basin - no deer). As I was putting my pack on I swung around awkwardly trying to get my watch unstuck from my shoulder strap and spotted a bedded Buck at 185 yards just staring at me. He'd watched the whole show with his head slung low trying to look small. Pulled up the binos and knew instantly that he was a shooter. The guide confirmed and we got Dan set up for the shot. Dan is a relatively new hunter (only 4 years under his belt) and his rifle/scope were giving him issues on range day when we arrived. After a brief goat rope, I asked Dan if he'd like to use my rifle which he happily accepted. The 155 Hammer Hunter out of my 7 RM made quick work from there. Awesome Buck, lots of character and mass (two things I value most, which is funny when you see my deer).
1698839594320.jpeg

After getting Dan's deer sorted out we continued hunting for me. We did another hiking hunt but with no luck. The next morning was our 4th day and the weather was supposed to start making things more difficult (clear skies, full moon and high winds during the day). I decided that with minimal time and unfavorable conditions for spotting lots of deer, I wasn't going to be too picky. First mature deer I found was going to be in trouble. As predicted the wind was stiff early that morning. We checked a few spots where I'd spotted some true tanks in the days prior that Dan couldn't get on, but all the deer were bedded and unseen. Went to a new spot that had some basalt cliffs offering wind protection and I spotted two deer at 500 yards with my naked eye. As soon as I pulled my binos up I knew I was shooting this deer. I was already getting my rifle ready while the guide was frantically trying to find the Buck. He confirmed age class and started helping me verify wind direction (12:00) and range (500). He asked if I was confident and I grinned back "Heck Yeah I am". We laid two packs down in the snow, I used my bino pouch for a rear support and settled in. I told them that as soon as the Buck stopped broadside I was taking him (he was rutting a doe). About 2 seconds after that he stopped and I "Hammered him". Top of heart, both lungs, he ran 20 yards and fell over. After the shot i got back in the scope and saw both of them running, quickly jacked in another round and got back in the scope just in time to see him fall over. He was down in less than 5 seconds. Complete pass through for mine and Dans deer so I have no data on retention (but I didn't find any petals either, so I think it had to be high retention).
1698840603089.jpeg

Last edited:
Good story, recounting all the fun you experienced during this hunt!

...lots of character and mass (two things I value most, which is funny when you see my deer).

I am not a rack hunter. However, your choice of the hunt and final shot is a fine representation of the specie. He will eat well and you have the trophy to help you remember the hunt.

:)