10mm handgun

My exact rig. You won't find anything more comfortable. But makes it awkward when carrying binos
Same here also. I first purchased a Glock model 40 then added a lone wolf complete inside and barrel. I put a Holosun solar charged green dot on it for hunting. However for bear protection I didn't want to be looking for the dot. Ill fall back on law enforcement training and concentrate on the front sight for close and fast action. So I purchased a Sig as soon as they came out and sold it last week. The magazine notched for mag release would not let me load the wide nose hard cast. The trigger pull was fantastic as far as factory triggers and it was accurate. However it threw brass over 15 feet which is an indicator it wouldn't take the beating for a long time.
My model 40 is a gen four, but I use a gen three guide rod with heavy springs.
Check out Alaskan Ballistics on utube. It will help you decide between extreme generator and hard cast. If you shoot hollow point for grizzly file off your front site. It will not hurt so much when the bear shoves it.

I have 2 10mm's.S&W 2.0 in 10mm that holds 15 and it shoots very well.I have shot 130 gr Lehigh bullets and feel it would go through a grizz with no problesms.150 gr practice rounds were very accurate and 180 gr shot extremely well also.
I also have a Rock Island Armory 1911 HC 10mm that holds 16 rounds and it too shoots well.
I have Montana Bullet hard cast loaded and ready but have not shot them yet but hard cast are the ticket for penetration.

I'm happy with my S&W 4.6". It has the best grip angle and is a natural pointer in my hands. 200 grain Hornady HAPs and XTPs shoot very accurately in the pistol. I've settled on AA9 powder with the 200 grain bullets. Starline brass and CCI 300 primers. 11.9 grains = 1094 fps, ES 19 fps, 7.1 SD, 12.1 grains = 1156 fps, ES 25 fps, 9.6 SD, and 12.5 grains = 1175 fps, ES 25 fps, SD 9.5 fps. All loads shot comfortably and was easy to control with rapid re-engagements. Only the 1911 has a better grip angle IMO, but I wanted something lighter to carry.
I'm running pretty much the same load with my 10mm (smith m&p2 4.6"bbl.)... #9 with a 200 rcbs... The only difference is with my alloy she seems full throttle by 11.2 grains. I haven't chrono'd it but I suspect it's already over 1100 fps. I'm running starline brass with regular lp primers. I did have to put a 24# spring in it to calm the pistol down a bit on cycling.

I'm curious, I also have the same rig and also purchased Montana 200 gr. Hard cast bullets.

I'm curious, I have the same rig and recently purchased Montana's 200 hard cast bullets. My question to you is, what powder was your choice behind that hardcast bullet? Thank you.
Accurate #9. I bought Longshot and Accurate #9 when gathering supplies. I started load testing with #9 and didn't make it to the Longshot, #9 meters like water, burns clean and is accurate in my gun.

Accurate #9. I bought Longshot and Accurate #9 when gathering supplies. I started load testing with #9 and didn't make it to the Longshot, #9 meters like water, burns clean and is accurate in my gun.
yup, I'd start with #9... I run true blue with 180 cast, but #9 seems great with 200'ish pills. It seems like everyone's gun likes a bit different charge though depending on components used, so I'd start from mild and work up.
Spring rate also makes a bit of difference in these pistols it seems, so flipping to a bit heavier spring may be part of load development too, especially with the 200gr. and up bullets...

yup, I'd start with #9... I run true blue with 180 cast, but #9 seems great with 200'ish pills. It seems like everyone's gun likes a bit different charge though depending on components used, so I'd start from mild and work up.
Spring rate also makes a bit of difference in these pistols it seems, so flipping to a bit heavier spring may be part of load development too, especially with the 200gr. and up bullets...
I need to explore a heavier spring in mine, still running the factory spring.

My G20 stays on my hip anytime I'm in Bear or these days "illegals country"!
The G20 props up in my boot in my tent at night in perfect reach. I added the trijicon sights and I see a pair of eyes watching over me in my tent while I sleep, its great for piece of mind.

Im currently using a Nosler 180hp with a healthy dose of Bluedot, that is a great all around bullet. I tried a load for the 200xtp for bear country but it shoots WAY high. I haven't revisited this in a few years because I am so accurate with the 180's out to 100yds. I decide it was better to hit with 180 then miss with a 200grain! I plan to see if backing the load off would bring the poi back?

I shot an auadad at 40yds this year using the 180gr and it dropped with a high lung shot!!

So many great 10's out there these days. Tell us what you pick
James

View attachment 548471
Come on guys. 10MM is equivalent to a 357 Mag. Hollow points are a very bad idea for large dangerous game. Not much penetration. If your going to depend on that cartridge best advice is heavy flat nose lead or Lehigh XP

Small frame Grock 17/19/22/23 doesn't fit my hand. Large frame 10mm Grock 20/29/40 is even worse for me.

If Grock fits you, it's reliability is stellar. It doesn't fit me, and I struggle to shoot it well.

I have a Springfield 1911 in 10mm, 9+1 with the Wilson Combat magazines.

It fits my hand, shoots great, and makes me happy.
My son is a surgeon offering hand re-attachment to fit Glocks.......easy peasy operation....for him.....just has to schedule surgery around when I'm not using my Craftsman dial protractor on another project at the farm.....patient experience may vary, recovery and learning to use your fingers again takes a little while. But, if you recover use of your fingers, sure improves accuracy.

Any advice on a 10mm handgun.Looking at a Glock budget $1000.
Ever since Glock hit the market virtually every gun manufacturer out there altered their products in ways to " build a Glock better than Glock does".
Like it or not Glock set some design and performance standard that is proven worldwide…over a wide array of circumstances…everyone played catch-up.
The "Glock in 10mm for bear" scenario, according to the internet, has been played and shown to be the way go.
The Glock detractors all have similar complaints and tout the virtues of their brand xyz , the one with all the design features copied from Glock.

My son is a surgeon offering hand re-attachment to fit Glocks.......easy peasy operation....for him.....just has to schedule surgery around when I'm not using my Craftsman dial protractor on another project at the farm.....patient experience may vary, recovery and learning to use your fingers again takes a little while. But, if you recover use of your fingers, sure improves accuracy.
Weird how the "no-fitty fellas" tend to be so much more sophisticated handgunners than us ordinary mortals …..and most of the "no-fitties" I observe are mediocre at best with any handgun…
You must so proud of your son's ability to correct this rare "no-fitty" affliction.

Come on guys. 10MM is equivalent to a 357 Mag. Hollow points are a very bad idea for large dangerous game. Not much penetration. If your going to depend on that cartridge best advice is heavy flat nose lead or Lehigh XP
No one on this forum uses HP for bear loads and while 357 mag maybe has killed blackies and grizz in the past it is not anyone I know their first choice.
Guides I know here in Montana carry 44 mag's,460,454 Casull and the most carried is 10mm with 180 to 200 gr hard cast bullets.Many carry 220 gr hard cast in 10mm.None I know or know of has ever carried a 357 mag.10mm is the number 1 weapon of choice against Grizz as you can carry 15 or more rounds plus an extra magazine for safety.
We covered this in the 10 mm load data thread a while back.

Ever since Glock hit the market virtually every gun manufacturer out there altered their products in ways to " build a Glock better than Glock does".
Like it or not Glock set some design and performance standard that is proven worldwide…over a wide array of circumstances…everyone played catch-up.
The "Glock in 10mm for bear" scenario, according to the internet, has been played and shown to be the way go.
The Glock detractors all have similar complaints and tout the virtues of their brand xyz , the one with all the design features copied from Glock.
I'll agree with Glocks innovation of the striker fired ignition, trigger safety and polymer frame, but will stop at that.

The Elephant in the room, grip angle. Glock neglected a fairly universal grip angle that was an unspoken standard across all nations firearms (1911, browning hipower, CZ75, Sigs, Walther's, S&W, most revolvers, etc.). All that muscle memory put to waste. Take an experienced shooter (non-Glock), hand them a Glock for the first time and they'll shoot over your head in a high stress situation. Fast forward to your backwoods hunt, here comes the bear, you draw your Glock and where do the bullets go?

Regarding 10mm, 15+ rounds at the ready versus 6 rounds and a slower reload just feels like a better option.