1033 Yard Muley

Long Time Long Ranger

Just didn't have time to deer hunt this year and this was the last morning I would have so I got up early and tried it. Beautiful crisp, clear rocky mountain morning and dead calm. Perfect for long range. At sun up I spotted this little guy across the drainage in a small meadow. I had one morning to hunt so couldn't be choosy. I thought this one looked mighty tasty. Just one of those beautiful settings where you say I just got to try this one. I got all situated and ranged him at 1033 yards then adjusted to my cheat sheet. I fired and watched for the hit. He humped up and then wobbled about 30 yards before collapsing.

I used a 300 ultramag shooting the 208 Amax at 3210 fps. 28" Hart barrel on a sako action and mcmillan stock. The rifle is an incredible shooter and will make any shot if I do my part. I found a little two track that got me up close to him for loading. It was just a miracle hunt for it to come together the way it did. The chances for me to get a deer on public land this late in the season was slim with just one morning to hunt. I hoped the recent snow in the high country around yellowstone would bring a few bucks down and lucked out.

007.jpg

011.jpg

WOW, INCREDIBLE, CONGRADULATIONS.
That just confirms why I enjoy reading all your posts.
Tarey

Sniper2, I need to get some of those out and look at them some day. That 300 ultramag I used is the one we had on that elk hunt back in 98-99 time frame. We were popping 12 oz. cans full of water way out yonder with it. I knew it was a shooter then. I remember Conrad killed an elk with it on that trip with a good shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.