1000 Yds Group one flier

onlythebestisgoodenough

Hi All

I Thought you all might be interested in this !

Where the arrow is there are 4 shots at a 1000 yards the 5th was a flyer not bad for an old man. If the 5th had of been there that would of been a new UK and World Record. I put the flyer shot down to the sound mod coming slightly loose on its screw fixing muzzle end ( I hope I have fixed this now fingers crossed ! ) , on inspection it looks as though a bullet has slightly grazed inside of the last stainless steel baffle ! Thats how it appears anyway. Maybe better luck next time

I'm using a 6.5-270 WSM Its built on an Hoffman action with a 28 " barrel , using 140 Grain Sierra Match Kings , hope to do better in the future given some good weather Conditions.

It only a new range that we built and set up this Summer its only a few weeks old , when we set up the Sea Mist Kept blowing in from the East and the temperature kept falling we are only shooting at an elevation of about 500 - 600 ft above sea level .

Ordnance Survey Map Grid Reference NX 770 561 , post Code DG7 1SW.

All the Best

Regards

Steve

modify_inline.gif

4 shot group under 1inch @ 1000Yds (2) [800x600].jpg (43.71 kB, 800x450 )

Wow, so close!

That's some great shooting.

If it looks like there's one strike on the baffle my guess would be that it had come loose on the first 4 and your flyer just nicked it spoiling your group.

Better luck on the next go round.

Hi WildRose
Thank You very much for those kind comments , I'm sure after investigating the matter that that was the cause , its a shame either way though.

I will have to try harder next time , forgot to say , I only using a 36X Leupold Competition Scope.:D

Regards

Steve gun)

For a guy who shoots long range for fun and to hunt what is the "baffle you are referring to?

One inch 4 shot group at a 1000 yards. Never in my wildest dreams will I ever do that. Good for you even if one did loose its way!

Hi Jim
Thank you very much for that kind reply , the Baffle I refer to is one of my stainless steel baffles in my screw on sound moderator , it has a spigot inside and this came slightly loose making the sound mod dip on the thread on the end of the barrel .
When I investigated latter it looks as though a bullet just slightly grazed the inside of the last baffle. I think that I have cured this now or I hope so , only time will tell mate , it would have been nice to have had the flier in with the other 4 shots though ! :D better look next time lol .:cool:

All the Best

Regards

Steve gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.