$1000 or less Hunting scope advice for Rem 700 30.06

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
Tract optics use Eagleman for 10 or 15% off
Which is James from Barbour creek shooting school
Take a look

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
I bought a Monstrum 3x18x50 llast year. Has many features, low $300, lifetime warranty, so far it really works well for me
Mike

How crooked or canted is your reticle?
Perfectly straight, no issues. I have 2 Monstrums 3x18x50, 6x36x56. Both are fine. Canting sometimes is an issue especially with long distance but I have shot mine out to 500 and no problem other than the guy holding the rifle.
Mike

Kiowa Cowboy,

Bear with me for a minute here.

Like you, I was in search of a new scope under the same parameters you have listed. I was dead set on a first focal plane scope.

After I actually held one and looked through it, I took a chance on a second focal plane scope that has a Mil reticle AND 1/10 mil adjustments. The milling part is accurate only at 15x, the top magnification.

Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44, 30mm main tube, HTMR Reticle, CDS (you can order a custom dial for your load and elevation) 1/10 Mil adjustments in a (SFP) second focal plane. Part #178027

It is basically a mil-dot reticle but has a hash mark at each mil in the reticle instead of a dot. The hash marks take up less space for precision aiming in my experience.

I love my FFP MIL/MIL scopes from NF and ZCo. I've used many SFP variables since 1972.

I've seen this scope advertised online in used condition $800-900 range here on LRH.

MSRP is about $1,200. You may find a dealer friend of yours who may cut you a break on his price to you.

For a hunting scope, it may fit what you're looking for, especially if paired with a laser rangefinder. I am sold on this scope for the price. Mine is on a Weatherby 307 Range XP .243 1/7.5T. I am SOLD on this scope and plan to buy several more.

I drove a straight 10x FFP Mil-dot reticle on my agency rifle from 1988-1995.

Good luck with your search.

Go Pokes! Okie.

Last edited:
Love them Zeiss! And you may want to give Meopta a look. I have one on my 6.5 CM that's opt.6 5-30x56. Great glass and tracks great, they were less than $1,000 on Eurooptic.com
Good luck on your search.

Kiowa Cowboy,

Bear with me for a minute here.

Like you, I was in search of a new scope under the same parameters you have listed. I was dead set on a first focal plane scope.

After I actually held one and looked through it, I took a chance on a second focal plane scope that has a Mil reticle AND 1/10 mil adjustments. The milling part is accurate only at 15x, the top magnification.

Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44, 30mm main tube, HTMR Reticle, CDS (you can order a custom dial for your load and elevation) 1/10 Mil adjustments in a (SFP) second focal plane. Part #178027

It is basically a mil-dot reticle but has a hash mark at each mil in the reticle instead of a dot. The hash marks take up less space for precision aiming in my experience.

I love my FFP MIL/MIL scopes from NF and ZCo. I've used many SFP variables since 1972.

I've seen this scope advertised online in used condition $800-900 range here on LRH.

MSRP is about $1,200. You may find a dealer friend of yours who may cut you a break on his price to you.

For a hunting scope, it may fit what you're looking for, especially if paired with a laser rangefinder. I am sold on this scope for the price. Mine is on a Weatherby 307 Range XP .243 1/7.5T. I am SOLD on this scope and plan to buy several more.

I drove a straight 10x FFP Mil-dot reticle on my agency rifle from 1988-1995.

Good luck with your search.

Go Pokes! Okie.
Excellent advice! Thank you for sharing. Definitely go Pokes!!

I bought a meopta optik 6 FFP on camera land and im really impressed with the over all opticv very clear loud clicks zerostop and locking turret mine is illuminated red center red dot its a 4.5x27 the weight isnt bad it sits on a remington 700 in 280 rem way lighter that the nightforve SHV i had on it prior and it eas under the price range