$1000 or less Hunting scope advice for Rem 700 30.06

Got the Tract scope mentioned above today, 2.5-15x44 FFP MRAD. The eyebox data seems pretty true as advertised, 3.9-4" through all the powers. It's kind of a gloomy day, snowing a little, and it looks pretty bright through all powers. The illumination works great, and makes the reticle visibility at 2.5 a non issue, although because of how the reticle is constructed not much of a problem anyway.

Clicks are very concise and audible; much better than VX 5.

Is the glass better than VX 5 or Swaro Z5? Not mounted, really couldn't say, and the glass on the VX 5 was never a problem. Just wanted FFP and something a little different.

And the warranty is Leupold/Vortex; no paperwork, lifetime.

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
You just can't go wrong with a Leupold scope. I've probably had a dozen of them over the years. Their service is great too. I pretty much settled an a 4.5×14 and have 3 of them on various rifles and they can be bought for well under $1000.

I just got an archon EP4L
perfect tracking really good light transmission and not too heavy
Little higher in your price range, but the vortex razor HD LHT is a solid choice
I too just recently bought some Arken EPL4s and EP5s Black Friday Cyber Monday sale and received earlier this month. I was very skeptical due to their older ones not having the best glass but these brand new ones are absolutely incredible. I think they must be using much better glass in their newest scopes now days. These brand new ones are really clear even all the way to their maximum magnification.

I got the 4-16x44 EPL4 and it's just as clear as my Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP at less than half the price (actually 2.5x the price) and the turrets feel a lot better as well. It's almost as clear as my Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 (I don't own the 4-16x version) which is the benchmark of clarity in budget scopes. It's the best $300 I've ever spent on a scope while the EP5 is far superior it's the best sub $400 I've ever spent on a scope and I wouldn't even consider it entry level at all. It's an unreal bargain and I really don't think anyone would complain if they cost $800.

I await the 6-24x50 EPL4 on backorder.

Last edited:
I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
They may have an advertised lifetime warranty but question is will they actually honor it when it's your turn for a warranty claim?

I have my own reservations about Bushnell, Athlon, Zeiss, Burris, Riton, and Blackhound (there's more but this is just off of the top of my head) in regards to actually honoring their lifetime warranty and the time it may actually take to get a repair or replacement. Zeiss for example may take a very long turnaround time if they have to send your scope overseas to Germany for repairs. Others may claim nothing wrong with your scope and send it right back to you or replace with another defective or someone else's used scope or even flat out may not honor their lifetime warranty.

In your case sounds like a Vortex Razor LHT or Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP 34mm or Arken EPL4 would suffice. I have yet to hear a peep about Vortex or Arken screwing over any of their customers over warranty and they in fact even send prepaid return shipping label of you need warranty so there's zero dollars out of pocket to pay shipping and insurance for warranty with these two specific companies. Arken isn't as lightning quick as Arken regarding communication but they do take care of their customers eventually via email.

This is the reason I recently bought several Arken EP5s and EPL4s received earlier this month. They are at least double to triple the quality their low prices may depict. I especially like their huge eyebox and wide FOV especially the EP5s. Excellent glass on their newest EP5s and EPL4s and way better than their older ones that's for sure. The newest EP5 is actually really clear even at it's maximum 25x magnification unlike the older ones that were only clear up until 20x. I compared them to my Athlon Cronus and Tract Toric and Tenmile and the glass is unbelievably close believe it or not you have to see it to believe it. Biggest difference how really huge the eyebox and FOV is and I prefer looking through the EP5 TBH.

After comparing my Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP 34mm to my new much cheaper lighter weight 4-16x44 Arken EPL4 and found image quality very similar with superior turrets and easy to set zero stop which doesn't limit total elevation travel at a 2.5x cost factor I'm still scratching my head. I think they should have stayed with a 30mm tube to keep the weight and price down if the zero stop was going to limit the total elevation travel anyway.

Last edited:
They may have an advertised lifetime warranty but question is will they actually honor it when it's your turn for a warranty claim?

I have my own reservations about Bushnell, Athlon, Zeiss, Burris, Riton, and Blackhound (there's more but this is just off of the top of my head) in regards to actually honoring their lifetime warranty and the time it may actually take to get a repair or replacement. Zeiss for example may take a very long turnaround time if they have to send your scope overseas to Germany for repairs. Others may claim nothing wrong with your scope and send it right back to you or replace with another defective or someone else's used scope or even flat out may not honor their lifetime warranty.

In your case sounds like a Vortex Razor LHT or Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP 34mm or Arken EPL4 would suffice. I have yet to hear a peep about Vortex or Arken screwing over any of their customers over warranty and they in fact even send prepaid return shipping label of you need warranty so there's zero dollars out of pocket to pay shipping and insurance for warranty with these two specific companies. Arken isn't as lightning quick as Arken regarding communication but they do take care of their customers eventually via email.

This is the reason I recently bought several Arken EP5s and EPL4s received earlier this month. They are at least double to triple the quality their low prices may depict. I especially like their huge eyebox and wide FOV especially the EP5s. Excellent glass on their newest EP5s and EPL4s and way better than their older ones that's for sure. The newest EP5 is actually really clear even at it's maximum 25x magnification unlike the older ones that were only clear up until 20x. I compared them to my Athlon Cronus and Tract Toric and Tenmile and the glass is unbelievably close believe it or not you have to see it to believe it. Biggest difference how really huge the eyebox and FOV is and I prefer looking through the EP5 TBH.

After comparing my Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP 34mm to my new much cheaper lighter weight 4-16x44 Arken EPL4 and found image quality very similar with superior turrets and easy to set zero stop which doesn't limit total elevation travel at a 2.5x cost factor I'm still scratching my head. I think they should have stayed with a 30mm tube to keep the weight and price down if the zero stop was going to limit the total elevation travel anyway.
Thank for taking the time to share your thoughts. This is very helpful.

If your heart is really set on a FFP I second the NF SHV 4-14x50 F1. They are great scopes. Have you used a FFP scope? If you haven't, I definitely recommend finding a friend who has a FFP scope and spend a few hours at the range to determine if you really like it or not.
Yes. I actually have a FFP scope it is Vortex PST Gen 1 it came on a Remington 700 that I purchased. The glass is not the greatest, but I like the ability to shoot long-range with it. My other scopes are older Ziess Conquest 3x9s. The glass in those scopes is great. They have been great hunting scopes. But they are not well suited to dialing for wind and elevation.

Your options are numerous. Given the specs listed you will need to narrow down other things that may be important to you. Durability and weight are often opposing attributes. Warranty service is critical if durability is sacrificed. Premium glass and coatings are expensive, but can be critical if shooting long range or in low light situations. Personal preferences on reticle can make a big difference in whether you will like the scope long term. Only you can define what is important to you.
I personally am trying to avoid Chinese made products when possible. There is no question that Chinese products are typically significantly less expensive than similar USA, European, and Japanese products.

I have these and like them for hunting.

Attachments

• 44ACD14F-4C08-4C81-9AD5-847A84A950E8.png
    44ACD14F-4C08-4C81-9AD5-847A84A950E8.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 40