100 YARD SHOT ON A GOOSE

Back in the day(35 years ago) I went out for a morning jump shoot for geese....guys from college...foggy morning..til we got to the bird area...then no dog over hot water lake...couldnt figure that out....but...
I had my two geese by jumping them out of the creek bottom...and spooked thousands down stream for those guys to get...after 3 of the 4 of us got our limit a lone huge goose circled over and 4th guy ups his 12ga and blasted that goose...easily 100yds up...both wings snapped..dead goose in air....
That was right when everything had been made non-toxic....these guys reloaded tungsten....mixed shot for ducks and geese...."it did kill"....

Back in the days of lead shot 2oz of BB was deadly on geese, #4 buckshot for cleaning up cripples that were out of the range of the BB's

You can make long shots on waterfowl but you must use quality shotgun shells. Our group has completely switched to the Hevishot family of waterfowl shells. They are non-tox and the best on the market. The density of shells like Hevi X, Hevi Metal Long Range, Hevishot Duck or Goose, and Hevi Hammer will give you quality patterns and pack a heavy punch even at extended ranges. We have come to realize that we shoot/use much less ammo because generally we are able to take our bird with a single shot and there is no need for bunch of "clean up" shots on a crippled bird.

Had something happen yesterday that really floored me. Never would have believed it and makes me question what I think I know. The targets were a pair of giant Canada's. The load was 10ga hevi metal BBBs. The shots were directly overhead at about 40yds. Killed both the goose and the gander. We all know the load is a mix of steel BBBs and hevishot 2's. When I cleaned the birds the gander had 2 hevi 2's between the tenderloin and breast plate. Didnt ever crack the bone. Kill was from pellets in head and neck. The goose was the second shot and a different angle. Penetration was good. These are big ole tough birds, and I've killed a ton of them, but usually at a different angle. Hevi 2s will easily kill them twice that far from the side or behind. Hope everyone learns something
along with me here.

Had something happen yesterday that really floored me. Never would have believed it and makes me question what I think I know. The targets were a pair of giant Canada's. The load was 10ga hevi metal BBBs. The shots were directly overhead at about 40yds. Killed both the goose and the gander. We all know the load is a mix of steel BBBs and hevishot 2's. When I cleaned the birds the gander had 2 hevi 2's between the tenderloin and breast plate. Didnt ever crack the bone. Kill was from pellets in head and neck. The goose was the second shot and a different angle. Penetration was good. These are big ole tough birds, and I've killed a ton of them, but usually at a different angle. Hevi 2s will easily kill them twice that far from the side or behind. Hope everyone learns something
along with me here.
Back when I used to shoot steel at geese we waited for them to pass over and shoot up the rear, otherwise you could hear the pellets hit but nothing would happen unless you happened to break a wing. Yes, they are big, tough birds.

The moral for me is that the Hevishot KILLS. The density is lethal and just the best available shotgun shell out there in my opinion. The days in the field are precious and not nearly plentiful enough at least for me and I want the best
tools of the trade that I can get plus I detest wounding birds. I want a clean kill and Hevishot gives that to me time and time again.

The moral for me is that the Hevishot KILLS. The density is lethal and just the best available shotgun shell out there in my opinion. The days in the field are precious and not nearly plentiful enough at least for me and I want the best
tools of the trade that I can get plus I detest wounding birds. I want a clean kill and Hevishot gives that to me time and time again.
I totally agree as spend way more money on gas, food, lodging, etc. than on ammo but I am not a fan of hevishot as they play marketing games by not stating the density of all the different shells they make. I load my own and use TSS for geese, turkey, coyotes, and chukar, and even some older 15g/cc and bismuth for other upland as we can't shoot any lead here in CA. Yes it sucks.

I do not believe any of that ^^^^ in reference to Hevishot. Hevishot is a great America company that makes high quality shotgun shell. The word HEVI is a cornerstone of the company and they simply do not play marketing games as Wedgy states above. I think what happens to Hevishot is that their competitors make lots of unfounded accusations in an effort to make them look back simply because they manufacture superior ammo.

These were marketed as a new hevishot but nothing more than steel. https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-metal/
What is heviduty ?
This is ten years ago;
"If your interest is publishing density of your loads, no one could tell it by referring to your website, where actual density of any of your 12 gauge waterfowl loads is never mentioned. To buy into your theory that Hevi-Shot Duck and Hevi-Shot Goose are the same, one would have to ignore your own product descriptions. Hevi-Shot Duck load #43006 is 1-3/8 oz. of #6 at 1450 fps. Hevi-Shot Goose load #43106 is 1-3/8 oz. of #6 at 1350 fps. Is it the stance of Hevi-Shot to use less muzzle velocity on a goose than a duck with now theoretically identical density shot? What would anyone pay more money for a slower Hevi-Shot Goose load than for a faster Hevi-Shot Duck load with identical payloads?"
They have much improved but steel shot is steel shot, nothing hevi about it but advertising.

I have made some long kills on geese but not that long. My hats off to you for trying to finish off the bird

It only takes 1 lucky one for sure. With a cripple, the responsible thing to do it try to take it out. Its nice when it works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.