100 YARD SHOT ON A GOOSE

Pa Grizz

I was hunting on the river and a flock of seven or eight locked up and started in.As soon as they come in to range I shot.The first one fell so I pulled up on the the next one .It fell ,but the first had gotten up and was trying to catch up to the rest of the flock.It was out of range ,but being hurt I hoped to finish it of with a lucky shot. I had one round left.I gave it a crazy lead and pulled the trigger.It crumbled and fell on the bank..It was a lucky shot and later got my range finder.From where I stood to where it landed was 103 yards.It is not a shot I would ever take ,but being wounded I took it

Wedgy

Good job recovering him !
I just started shooting some #5 18g/cc tungsten and you can easily take birds at 100 yards. Expensive, yes, but I don't get to hunt much and spend more on gas so it's worth it.

Buxndiverdux

Good job recovering him !
I just started shooting some #5 18g/cc tungsten and you can easily take birds at 100 yards. Expensive, yes, but I don't get to hunt much and spend more on gas so it's worth it.
I've been hand loading #9 18g/cc tungsten for 10 years and it is easy to kill turkeys at 65 yards. I haven't shot one further than 68, but the pattern density is good enough to do it. Been itching to load some waterfowling loads for it, but just can't bring myself to do it. Stuff is super expensive and I usually shoot a case or more a season. I'm afraid I'd load 25 of it and get addicted. :)

Wedgy

I've been hand loading #9 18g/cc tungsten for 10 years and it is easy to kill turkeys at 65 yards. I haven't shot one further than 68, but the pattern density is good enough to do it. Been itching to load some waterfowling loads for it, but just can't bring myself to do it. Stuff is super expensive and I usually shoot a case or more a season. I'm afraid I'd load 25 of it and get addicted. :)
So far I only use the TSS for chukar, geese, and turkey. I imported a bunch directly from China which brought the price below $30/lb including import duties and shipping. Will try some 5's and 2's on coyotes as soon as I finish up with my CO cow hunt.

ATH

Good shot retrieving the wounded bird. I agree, once they are hit, there is no wrong in taking a low percentage stop to try and stop them from limping away to die slowly.

On a N Dakota pheasant hunt I hit a rooster at about 35 yards. His legs were dangling and a wing gimpy but he continued to fly. I fired a second round of #5s pushed fast at 85 yards and he crumpled. Took the dog half an hour to find him but he was recovered. I never would have taken that shot on a non-wounded bird.

idcwby

I was hunting on the river and a flock of seven or eight locked up and started in.As soon as they come in to range I shot.The first one fell so I pulled up on the the next one .It fell ,but the first had gotten up and was trying to catch up to the rest of the flock.It was out of range ,but being hurt I hoped to finish it of with a lucky shot. I had one round left.I gave it a crazy lead and pulled the trigger.It crumbled and fell on the bank..It was a lucky shot and later got my range finder.From where I stood to where it landed was 103 yards.It is not a shot I would ever take ,but being wounded I took it
Out of curiosity, what was your load?

Thanks
idcwby

Trending threads