100 grain amax in 260

Isn't the A-Max a target bullet? I going to order a box of the 123gr SST and give them a try. According to Hornady it has the same B.C. than the A-Max.

Technically yes it is a target bullet but ive used the 140 a - max out of my 6.5 Creedmoor to kill a few whitetail deer and a black bear that weighed in at 312 lbs. Those were with the 140 a- max and none of those critters went anywhere. The most devestating performance ive seen was my dads 6.5 Cm with a 129 sst at 3005 fps on a whitetail buck. I could literally fit my fist on both sides of the rib cage. It was total carnage! He used this same load to kill a big nebraska whitetail. He shot this buck at 500 yards and it was on a dead run. Dropped him right there. But we have found that its easier to get the a-max to shoot tidy groups. We have to work with the sst a little to get tight groups. For some reason our guns love the a- max bullet, it doesnt seem to matter what weight it is they just print tidy groups. Im shooting the 100 a max and i get 1/2 moa.

I split the difference and went with the 123 amax. I could only get the 140 amax and 140 bergers to go 27xx fps in my 260. I am now working up a load for the 123 amax. I did a ladder test last week and it looks like these will shoot mid 3000 fps with accuracy out of my rifle. I did not consider the 100 grain bullets because I did not want a bullet with a bc lower than .5. Going that low I might as well be shooting my .308win with 155 grain bullets. i want to be able to practice at 1000-1200 to make those 600-800 yard hunting shots comfortable. I have had really good results with the 105 amax on game out of my 243win. Antelope and deer from 90 to 660 yards.

It is well known to be fine on deer and antelope with a little common sense. Do not push it to 3400 and take a shoulder shot at 75 yds. The 6.5 is already an overpenetrater on thin skinned, so no need for uber, prem bullet till you get to tougher stuff like elk. In some weights, the hornady manual even lists them for med game. All about wise shot placement and actually being able to shoot small

the 123 amax is proven in the Grendel on deer and the 123 sst is designed for the Grendel - has the same bc as the 123 amax which was designed specifically to use in the 6.5 Grendel. point is that it is perfect for deer

Just loaded up some 100 grain amax in my 6.5x47 and results seem promising. Shooting 42.5 grain of varget for 3335 out of a 20" barrel. Did some testing and came up with a g7 b.c. Of .190 Anyone one else test for a g7 bc?

I´ve tested the 100 A-Max on my 6.5CM with great results out to 600m. @800m they start to give me some trouble. I believe it´s because of the velocity variations I´m getting.
I never tried them on game, but they print awesome groups on paper. I just bought 2 boxes of 123r SST´s for deer season. Let´s see how they work. Haven´t shot them yet.
Here´s a 5 shot group using the a-max´s

Attachments

• IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6252.jpg
    IMG_6252.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.