10 mph head wind not easy

A A Ron

Yesterday, I had my rifle out for practice. There was a variable, but mostly 12 o'clock head wind that went from 4 to 10 mph. I put my stuff in Strelock and bam made a first round hit on a 24 inch steel circle at 1135 yards. I was stoked and then shot the next 20 rounds with only one more hit. The head wind was mostly in my face. I didn't realize how much a fish tailing headwind can fool you. Later I plugged in the variation. According to Strelock a difference of -15 to +15 is huge 35 inches at 1000. So it is even more at 1135. The vertical isn't enough for a miss, but horizontal is for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230904-143018_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20230904-143018_Strelok Pro.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20230904-141920_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20230904-141920_Strelok Pro.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 127
Yesterday, I had my rifle out for practice. There was a variable, but mostly 12 o'clock head wind that went from 4 to 10 mph. I put my stuff in Strelock and bam made a first round hit on a 24 inch steel circle at 1135 yards. I was stoked and then shot the next 20 rounds with only one more hit. The head wind was mostly in my face. I didn't realize how much a fish tailing headwind can fool you. Later I plugged in the variation. According to Strelock a difference of -15 to +15 is huge 35 inches at 1000. So it is even more at 1135. The vertical isn't enough for a miss, but horizontal is for sure.
Yep that's the trickiest wind right there

LOL! If you think that's bad, try 40+ MPH wind. This was me antelope hunting a few years ago.

My 11 yr old is a great example of all of us at times. I have him dope for an 8in plate at 550 on a calm day. He hit it right away and was convinced he's a sniper. The other day with shifting winds he never could connect now he's completely unsung himself 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 I told him we actually learned more by not hitting it then to hit it and think we could easily do it

I know just speaking for myself it's easy to think if I have all the right gear then I can hit farther out and in calm conditions to a degree that's true but when a wind is gusting down a canyon it shows really fast just how much I'm not capable of😂😂
The problem with across up a canyon is no trees or grass read

Yes! And wind meters don't read wind 500yds away. A good set of optics reading the terrain.....watching the grass,trees brush ect. To get a best guess scenario is your only option. Takes a lot of practice but it good to be challenged at the range instead of surprised in the field.
^^^^^^^^^^^This*^^^^^^^^^^

We were shooting at 500 last week. Slight breeze, maybe 2 to 5 mph. I was shooting my 338 Edge, Barnes 280? TTSX and had to hold approximately 6 inches into this minor breeze. No canyons just the breeze.
I have to agree with others that have posted. If you are not positive about the wind speed and direction, is it really worth wounding a magnificent animal?