Cheap, easy, "effective" calls.

entoptics

My buddy and I are about to go Elk hunting, his first, my third. We're utter rookies.

Any advice on some cheap and easy calls? Not kidding ourselves that we can call in a B&C, just something to up our odds of stopping a bull for a shot, or getting one to ignore our smelly brush crashing.

We're already spending most of our time and spare dollars on making sure we can hit our targets and not be cold an miserable while searching. Some cheap and easy call options would be awesome...

Learn to use a mouth reed.....You only need one call and you can make any sound an elk makes with it. Plus, you can use when your hands are full of rifle or bow. Anymore about all I carry for calls are two reeds, one for back up. The one I use a lot is linked below. The plate on these ones makes it easy for beginners to get the right amount of pressure to the roof of your mouth. By one and start using it day and night and while driving, and you'll get the hang of them pretty quick.

https://www.primos.com/products/elk-calls/ivory-plate-single/

0915181626a_HDR.jpg
Download "elknut" its an app for your phone. And get a diaphragm. I learned in a week. I studied the app as well. It'll give you scenarios and advoce when, where, and time to use a certain bugle or mew. I started bow hunting 3 years ago and downloaded the app this year. And smoked a good bull. Especially for my first bull. He's no monster. But for a first bull hes everything you could ask for. Lacks length on his mains but what he lacks in length, he makes up in girth.

Which season will you be hunting? If it's after the rut you should probably use a cow call. Those are a lot easier to use. Mouth reeds are versatle but difficullt to master while there are some calls you simply blow through while changing teeth pressure to make cow talk.

Thanks for the tips.

We'll be hunting in late Oct to early Nov. So bugles won't be necessary from my understanding.

Think I'll buy a reed call and practice since they are cheap. The "Hoochie Mama" looks like a good idea too.

As I mentioned, we're not thinking of trying to call in a bull, just thought a call or two while stomping around might trick the bulls into staying around. And, as mentioned, I've seen the importance of a call in stopping a bull that is debating fleeing. Might mean the difference between a shot and a brown butt disappearing over the ridge.

View attachment 105953 Download "elknut" its an app for your phone. And get a diaphragm. I learned in a week. I studied the app as well. It'll give you scenarios and advoce when, where, and time to use a certain bugle or mew. I started bow hunting 3 years ago and downloaded the app this year. And smoked a good bull. Especially for my first bull. He's no monster. But for a first bull hes everything you could ask for. Lacks length on his mains but what he lacks in length, he makes up in girth.

Very nice bull !! Congrats- You should be proud, even for a first bull it's very nice.

Phelps mouth reed. Inexpensive and built to last. Just takes lots of practice building the muscle memory. Just practice everyday when you're in your car and you'll pick it up in no time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.