To wind meter or not to wind meter?

Clearly this is not a scientific test in a controlled environment but it is something I study and look at frequently while out there learning.

I had another shot not long ago that showed 6 mph R to L. It was 980 yards, made the adjusment, sent it. POI was left 1 MOA. I discovered the wind at muzzle was close to the ground and not as strong as bullet path. Observing tree top movement and then holding the kestrel 8 feet off ground I noted a 2 mph increase.

Which goes back the quesiton about, a meter or not? For me, absolutely. It is one thing to shoot at rocks and guess. It is another to learn about the elements that affect the bullet, use the tools to educate myself, and take those tools to the field. Even a friend, who is an army sniper, is not accurately calling the wind with less than 1 mph accuracy. He also shoots large calibers with heavy bullets to minimize wind affects and does very well.

When I go the field I have the ability to monitor: wind speed, barometric pressure, altitude, temperature, range, and slope. That means 3 devices go with me at all times: Leica RF, iPod with Shooter, Kestrel. I don't need my GPS for a solution but I take it anyway so I know when I am lost.

Like what has been said in posts before me, it is the wind at station that matters the most. If you think about it logically, it makes sence. If you shoot and immediately your bullet is pushed 2 degrees off, when it gets to 1000 yards, how many degrees off is it now? The same principal is applied to the second half, if at 500 yards your bullet is pushed off of its trajectory 2 degrees, it is now only half of what being pushed off 2 degrees at 1000 yards. I dont have my calculator right here but it is as simple as this, if you are perfectly on at station, you will be that much closer to making a first round hit down range, what ever the yardage may be. Sure your bullet may get pushed in different directions at different points and such but my point being just the same as getting good data out of a ballistic calculator, if you have good input at first, your will get good output later. I think that a wind meter at station is a very valuable tool, infact so valuable that it is one of the things that is in my go bag. If you dont have it, you better be good at estimating wind velocitys and correcting for them. As others have stated, you can use it as a training tool as well. You can take it to different wind speeds and make some observations as you see exactly what the wind speed is and make note of it that way when you are estimating later at some point down range, you know what that wind looks like in bushes, trees, grass, leaves, etc. A good wind meter is an invaluable tool and a must have.

Like what has been said in posts before me, it is the wind at station that matters the most. If you think about it logically, it makes sence. If you shoot and immediately your bullet is pushed 2 degrees off, when it gets to 1000 yards, how many degrees off is it now? The same principal is applied to the second half, if at 500 yards your bullet is pushed off of its trajectory 2 degrees

This is assuming it is only pushed off 2 degrees. Remember at lower velocities the bullet is more affected by wordly factors.

My Kestrel is as important for my long range shooting as my range finder and ballistic solution, how else would a guy define what the wind is doing to the flight path of his bullet. I know you can fling a lot of lead down range and I do that as well but I do it while taking many wind readings and combine that with observations of the terrain and the info one cold bore shot and one corrected follow up shot show me, then when I'm back in the same spot taking game I have a solid base line to make my correction on for a cold bore kill.
There is no other way to get a defined base line for how the wind is affecting the bullet path, we don't wing it when getting a range and I don't see why trying to perfect your windage would be any different!
Owned several Caldwell and other cheaper wind meters and it's better to just save the money and buy the Kestrel!!

I metered. Kestrel 2500NV. Speed, temp, baro, alt. When it's wet it raining :)! Sorry couldn't resist....

Thank you to everyone who replied and helped with the decision. I think I will use as a training tool and not the proverbial "crutch", but I also believe it is important to use all the data you can from your kit.

Thanks again

As I sit here contemplating this question it seems ridiculous, obvious, and silly. Yet at the same time, a really excellent question. That fine line between genius and insanity? Here goes:

How useful is a wind meter? For context, let's assume we are shooting 300 yards and further.

Obviously, they must be of some value as I am adding data or removing a variable from the equation. Yet, at the same time common sense tells me that the data is of limited use because it is only telling me the data at my shooting position. Now, if this is the only place the wind is blowing or it is consistent all the way to the target the value is quite high. However, the chances of this are not very good.

If there is value, is a basic $100 Kestrel or Windmate with speed and temperature enough? If I am willing to spend $300-400 for a top of the line (which I am not) is it worth the upgrade or would I get more benefit from practical experience of sending $400 worth handloads down range and paying attention to the environment around me?

In the front of my mind during all this is also the old dead battery, smashed meter thing. I still don't have a GPS and rely on map and compass and my ability to use them correctly!

Please support your reply with examples or empirical data to support your claim.
Wind is the toughest variable of all we have to deal with in long range shooting and as such anything we can do to reduce it's impact is worth while.

No the wind usually will not be consistent throughout the flight of the bullet but if you can meter the wind at your shooting position, then read the downrange cues to help determine changes in speed and direction being able to meter the wind to start with gives you a solid foundation to base your total wind effect on your final target solution.

For example if you know you have a 6:00 wind to start with and it's blowing steady at 12mph you can figure much more accurately what the speed and direction changes down rage are going to be.

You compare the cues over the first, second, and final 3rds or quarters of the flight.

Take those and base them off of your initial wind reading with +/- and you will have a much more accurate final shooting solution vs just using the old WAG.

It takes a tremendous amount of skill to read wind accurately to begin with and without a solid starting point most people will fail to even get close.

Technology won't replace practice and skill but it will certainly enable a person with limited experience to be successful.

Please support your reply with examples or empirical data to support your claim.

MV 2755 fps
.818 G1 BC
Density Altitude 5000
Spin Drift off
Coriolis off
Range 1000 yards
Wind Zone (WZ) A 0-500 yards
Wind Zone (WZ) B 500-1000 yards
Case #1
WZA 5MPH 90 deg
WZB 0MPH
Case #2
WZA 0MPH
WZB 5MPH 90 deg
Case #3
WZA 5 MPH 90 deg
WZB 5 MPH 270 deg
Case #4
WZA 5 MPH 270 deg
WZB 5 MPH 90 deg
Results
  1. Left 14.9 inches, 1.4 MOA
  2. Left 6.4 inches, .6 MOA
  3. Left 8.4 inches, .8 MOA
  4. Right 8.4 inches, .8 MOA
I would say a wind meter better yet a weather station at the shooter location would be a great tool to have. It's an absolute must in my gear.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.