1 piece vs 2 piece bases

Goobie270

I see nightforce makes a 2 piece 20moa base which is what I'd like, but I am wondering if the 1 piece is better for accuracy around 700 to 1000 yards, or will the 2piece be fine?

I see nightforce makes a 2 piece 20moa base which is what I'd like, but I am wondering if the 1 piece is better for accuracy around 700 to 1000 yards, or will the 2piece be fine?
Either one is fine IF action and holes in it are straight AND bases are straight and well made. Being NF I would ASSume they will be. Anything made by man can be OFF. I check everything for straightness and that way I know its good. Many actions are OFF, as are bases and rings. The end result you want is a ring pointing straight with the bore and not binding the scope tube. It doesn't really matter how you get there. There are rings available to make up for the lack of action trueness if that will tell you anything.

Personally I like one piece bases. But both will work. Once you've checked your bases for alignment there is a kit, Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment and Lapping kit that you might consider using for the rings.

Here's a solution; I guess the craftsperson couldn't find the correct setup.

Attachments

• baseweld.jpg
    baseweld.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 146
I have a Night Force one piece base with a DNZ joined rings holding a Schmidt & Bender 2-25 x56. They're heavy but I've not banged this rig out of alignment yet. I'm a klutz so it's only a matter of time.

I agree with previous comments that if mounted correctly, there is no difference in accuracy between the two types. I use both, but generally prefer two piece alloy, integral base/ring 2pc for my LR carry rifles(6.5x284) that I try to keep under 12 pounds. i have not experienced stability or reliability issues, even with the occasional bumps and bangs.

I prefer the 1 piece as it gives me more flexibility.

Can you explain this?

With 2-piece you are stuck to where ever the slot happens to fall. With 1-piece, because of multiple slots, it gives you the flexibility for best eye relief while providing even pressure on the scope's main tube. I like "mine" centered as I possibly can ... but that's just "my" personal preference. Hopefully, the example pix below illustrates what I am talking about and answers your query ...

Below are 2-piece bases ...

P2210382-1.jpg

(Ruger M77 MKII .338 WM)

P8220205-1-1.jpg

(SAKO M995 .300 WM)

Below are 1-piece bases

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%202%20of%203_zps5ho6ngc8.jpg

(Savage 11 FCNS .300 WSM)

P1020324A_zpsf0663599.jpg

(Savage 110 .270 AI)

DSCN0842_zpsylykjj02.jpg

(Full custom BHA SR2 LA .30 Lara)

Hope these helps.

ADDED: Sorry for the multiple pictures.

With 2-piece you are stuck to where ever the slot happens to fall. With 1-piece, because of multiple slots, it gives you the flexibility for best eye relief while providing even pressure on the scope's main tube. I like "mine" centered as I possibly can ... but that's just "my" personal preference. Hopefully, the example pix below illustrates what I am talking about and answers your query ...

Sorry, I misunderstood the OP's original question. I was thinking 1pc vs 2 pc mounts not bases and I couldn't figure out how a 1pc mount gives more flexibility. I agree that 1 pc base is the way to go.

Sorry, I misunderstood the OP's original question. I was thinking 1pc vs 2 pc mounts not bases and I couldn't figure out how a 1pc mount gives more flexibility. I agree that 1 pc base is the way to go.

Scope bases, rails (picatinny), and mounts are often used interchangeably.

Perhaps you were thinking scope rings; 2-piece scope rings vs 1-piece combo like the cantilever type.

I always prefer a 1 piece for mounting flexibility, strength and potential action deviations. Either can work.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.