0-600yrds target caliber

Good point for the 223.

the single shot loading is something I dont mind, infact most off the time it what I do. But did not see alot off 223 shooter around.

Will have a 223 for sure but maybe not for mtl next rifle.

6mm of some kind is more in my list

6 BRA or,.. 6 XC IF wanting, a little more "Horse Power" !
Shoot, the 105 Hybrids, 107 Sierra MK's or, the 108 Elite Hunters !
ALL "work" with, a 1-8 or 1-7.5 Twist !
My 1- 7.5 tw, Criterion barrel, 6 XC shoots from, the 80 gr. Berger F B. Varmints, Sierra 80 gr. BTSP's to,.. 108 E H's ,.. TINY !

Target - known ranges, much use, able to penetrate paper target, long barrel life, availability of proven hi-rated bullets, minimal recoil, optimum ballistics considering previous. These qualities were considered in developing the 6.5X47 Lapua.

My choice would be 6.5 CM. My .22-.250 7.7 twist with 75 ELDM bullets does very well and uses up to 10 grains less powder per round & bullets cost 40% less but barrel life is shorter. A fast twist .223 would work.

I have a 6mm - 06, first 2-3 rounds are right on-track but as the barrel heats up bullets wander. Fun to shoot & I can blow 87 VMax bullets up from its 8 twist barrel. If I hit a rodent some 20 feet out it would be toast. Then we have the .22 Eargensplitter Louden Boomer with a good tough .224 bullet like the 52 grain Sierra BTHP.

The .243/6mm bullet is available in many great designs and weights! For use in hunting, targets, availability, and economy I would strongly consider something close to the Win. .243 loading! Short action, and more than capable out to 600 yards! Light recoil, great caliber, & Lots to Love!!!

The .243/6mm bullet is available in many great designs and weights! For use in hunting, targets, availability, and economy I would strongly consider something close to the Win. .243 loading! Short action, and more than capable out to 600 yards! Light recoil, great caliber, & Lots to Love!!!
That how I think to and a target rifle can go hunting if your in à blind. Plus it easy to start someone in the shooting sport.

My mind is not set yet but with all the info you all gave me I have narrow it down to these caliber:

6mm dasher
6mmbr
6mmxc
260rem
7mm08

All in fast twist to handel those heavy for caliber bullet.

The 7mm08 I do have the die, some brass and bullet, got one for hunting. But do I need 2 7mm08🤔

The 260rem... just cause I like classic.

Those 3 6mm caliber have my favor, will look with my smith if e have the reamer... About sure that e got all of them

My mind is not set yet but with all the info you all gave me I have narrow it down to these caliber:

6mm dasher
6mmbr
6mmxc
260rem
7mm08

The 7mm08 I do have the die, some brass and bullet, got one for hunting. But do I need 2 7mm08🤔

Those 3 6mm caliber have my favor, will look with my smith if e have the reamer... About sure that e got all of them
I have or have had three of the five... I'd go with the 6XC G David Tubbs put me onto the 6XC many years ago in Raton NM while shooting an LR match next to him, I didn't want it for an LR rifle, I wanted as a lightweight hunting rifle that would shoot a bullet weights up to 105gr's and it's never disappointed me in the field yet. Just my 0.2 there all good cartridges. Good Luck.

I HAVE, a 6 XC, too,.. a Rem 700 Short Action SS, Criterion 24", "Heavy Sporter" SS barrel, Norma Brass, Forster Dies, 80 to 108 gr. Berger Bullets,..
"Shoot's" in,.. the .2's and 3's with Minimal Load "work up" and will DO, EVERYTHING that, a .243 Win does with about, 1,000 Rounds MORE,..
Barrel "Life" !
YUP,. It's THAT,.."good", do some,..Research !

I have or have had three of the five... I'd go with the 6XC G David Tubbs put me onto the 6XC many years ago in Raton NM while shooting an LR match next to him, I didn't want it for an LR rifle, I wanted as a lightweight hunting rifle that would shoot a bullet weights up to 105gr's and it's never disappointed me in the field yet. Just my 0.2 there all good cartridges. Good Luck.
I HAVE, a 6 XC, too,.. a Rem 700 Short Action SS, Criterion 24", "Heavy Sporter" SS barrel, Norma Brass, Forster Dies, 80 to 108 gr. Berger Bullets,..
"Shoot's" in,.. the .2's and 3's with Minimal Load "work up" and will DO, EVERYTHING that, a .243 Win does with about, 1,000 Rounds MORE,..
Barrel "Life" !
YUP,. It's THAT,.."good", do some,..Research !
I live in the same town as DT and pass by his work place every day taking kids too school. His wife is a great person, but no thanks on DT himself!

6mm dasher
6mmbr
6mmxc
260rem
7mm08

Between the 6.5cm and the 260rem, I'd go with the 260rem! I love 26cal, but you can get more out of the 260rem (I do have both cartridges). Longer throat will be needed for sure.

Between the 6.5cm and the 260rem, I'd go with the 260rem! I love 26cal, but you can get more out of the 260rem (I do have both cartridges). Longer throat will be needed for sure.
You confirm my thiking with the 260rem, and like I said single feeding my rifle is what I do so éventuellement it dont fit in mag dont mind.

Even my hunting rifle are single feed, nerver need 2 shot and I have been hunting for 30year now..

You confirm my thiking with the 260rem, and like I said single feeding my rifle is what I do so éventuellement it dont fit in mag dont mind.

Even my hunting rifle are single feed, nerver need 2 shot and I have been hunting for 30year now..
You can easily make up for the slight pressure difference in the 260 with more powder when seating the bullet further out for sure + not much recoil difference between the 24 and 26cal. I mostly use FMJ for all my shooting needs! Not everyone's cup of tea. The only cal I don't (and can't get) have any FMJs for are the 27cal (270win). Norma makes them, but can't get them in the US anywhere? Those Rem clones (115mc) are hard too find.