“Hammered” a big ol’ Muley!

Dang, that's a big ol' deer. What would you guess a deer like him would weigh?
I don't know, but he was HUGE.

at the butcher with just the quarters, the weights of the animals were as follow

My buddies buck - 64lbs
My buck - 92lbs
My elk - 152lbs

So my buck was almost 50% bigger than my buddies and well over half the meat weight of a small bull elk lol

I love that you made your hunt an adventure. Even if you had no success, 7 days in the back country is a memory in and of itself.
I killed a dandy bull in Utah with my 28 last month and 177g Hammer Hunters. I'm curious what powder you are shooting behind your 169's?
Great report and memorable experience for sure!
88.3gr N570. The 177's wouldn't quite stabilize in my rifle, but I'm super happy with the 169's!

We packed it all quite a few miles to one location and then had horses come grab it! The first buck and my buck were killed 6 miles apart, we still did a ton of packing hahaha.
It's times like this when right after you pull the trigger you say to yourself " SELF....REALLY...WHAT DID YOU JUST DO"

We packed it all quite a few miles to one location and then had horses come grab it! The first buck and my buck were killed 6 miles apart, we still did a ton of packing hahaha.

Sounds brilliant to me! I did the same with my bull elk, packing out meat on mules is fantastic.

It's times like this when right after you pull the trigger you say to yourself " SELF....REALLY...WHAT DID YOU JUST DO"
haha I actually passed a pretty good 6x6 bull on the very first evening. The packout would have been extreme and it would have wasted probably 3 days of our hunt. I was there to kill a big buck, I passed the bull and ended up killing my big buck and a bull, so it all worked out in the end!! This was the bull I passed.

IMG_4364.png

Awesome buck……Congratulations !!
Makes the grind all worth it !! I can remember leaving out from our 8/10 day pack in trips into the West Elk Wilderness Area on several occasions whining & saying that I just don't know if it's even worth her efforts going back the next year after an as especially hard hunt. Only to find myself Every time becoming excited about planning the next trip within only just a few weeks. Rough times always seem to turn in to Good Times….& Great Memories !!

Awesome buck……Congratulations !!
Makes the grind all worth it !! I can remember leaving out from our 8/10 day pack in trips into the West Elk Wilderness Area on several occasions whining & saying that I just don't know if it's even worth her efforts going back the next year after an as especially hard hunt. Only to find myself Every time becoming excited about planning the next trip within only just a few weeks. Rough times always seem to turn in to Good Times….& Great Memories !!
Man, isn't that the truth. Sometimes you question why you're doing it and if you'll do it again. And then one hour after being the truck on the way home, you're already thinking about the next years hunt haha.
Out of curiosity did you ever try h1000? I'm running the 169 and would like to fill case a little more and didn't know if n570 did any better. Wonderful pictures and congratulations!!
I have not used H1000. But N570 fills the case up nice! I've loaded for 3 hammers with N570 and it's basically a slightly compressed load with each bullet