“Don’t use one of them Creedmoores....”

We have a game ranch and most of the time I see the creedmoor that hunters bring with them they also bring match ammo. If that occurs I do not let them shoot an animal with rifle. In my experience the game that has been wounded and never retrieved on our place was due to this occurring. I'll probably be jumped in by a few on here for saying that but it's the truth in my experience that every time we've had to track and not recover an animal it's because the hunter was shooting match ammunition. If a creedmoor is being used and proper hunting bullets are used I let them fire away depending on distance.
This is your perogative as the owner and I think a valid position to take. I didn't ask what kind of projectiles were in play here but I guess we can't assume that every hunters going to understand the implications. That's kind of disturbing actually. Hunters safety courses should go over this, IMHO.

I am not sure what "match" ammo is but I have used "match" bullets exclusively for every big game animal I have ever shot and most do not take a step. The ones that did were typically larger bullets on smaller game and I watched everyone of them go down in sight.

If the 6.5 Creedmoor is not sufficient at Harvesting Deer,,, Moose,,, Elk,,, then it might be wize to let the hunters over seas know this since the 6.5x55 invented in 1891 shouldn't of been used to harvest 10.000.000 +++ Moose over 138 years I guess...

Kind of a shame that the old timers didn't know this for all these years,,, millions of Moose,,, Deer and Elk give up their lives for a cartridge that just wasn't effective...

Who-da Thunk...

Cheers from the North

Seems like the "old guard" has massive bias based on anecdotal evidence, but not modern science. Assuming good shot placement, if there is sufficient energy for the animal, velocity to expand the particular bullet, and quality bullet that can transfer energy, then the rest is academic. But that is with all things perfect.

What guides and others are really saying when they say a caliber is insufficient, in my opinion, is that larger calibers with more raw energy and better trajectories have a greater capacity to kill in less optimal situations (such as shot misplacement, bullet failure, etc. ,etc.). And they are likely right, that in less than perfect scenarios the larger calibers may get the job done when a lesser calibers without perfect execution will not do the job. It is all tolerance. If a 6.5 CM require a perfect shot (body angle, placement, energy, etc.) when a 300 RUM requires simply a poor hit to kill an animal, a guide will state the obvious - use the 300 RUM. With all that said, a 6.5 CM undoubtedly can kill big game animals. You just have to know the caliber, and your probability of making a quality shot given the variables.

sorry brother - this is just not a true statement. Bigger cartridges don't kill better with pis poor shooting.
Agreed, and I didn't say they would. But all other things equal, a less then perfect shot with better energy transfer (a function of energy, diameter and bullet quality) will lead to better kills rates. That is why guides would prefer that situation. I didn't say they were right, just that i understand why they would believe that.

I completely agree that a good shot with a 6.5 CM and quality ammunition within proper range will surely get the job done.

Another thing that comes to mind for the guide (s),,, if the client was a lady who's paying """her""" own way on a guided hunt,,, """if""" she could place 3 fast shots into a 2" to 2 1/2" group free-hand standing at 100 meters with a 6.5 Creedmoor,,, would they allow her to par-take in a hunt...

My guess is that any guide up here in the North would be hounered to have a Gal join in on the good times since its not every day that we notice lady's that can shoot Full Bore,,, and be good at it...

Food for thought I guess

Cheers from the North

Now for my rant (no, the prior wasn't my rant) - I know many guides, and I believe they are skeptical of the 6.5 CM because of its YouTube fame as a long range caliber. The casual idiot hunter who buys his 6.5 CM because it is a "long range" caliber and expects to shoot 1,200 yards at an elk as a result - because he saw it done on YouTube - is a nightmare for guides. The 6.5 CM is a great round WITHIN RANGE!

Putting holes in a target, and holes in an animal. Aint always the same.
At least you'd know they could shoot their weapon with some accuracy.

""if""" she could place 3 fast shots into a 2" to 2 1/2" group free-hand standing at 100 meters with a 6.5 Creedmoor,,,

My guess is that any guide up here in the North would be hounered to have a Gal join in on the good times since its not every day that we notice lady's that can shoot Full Bore,,, and be good at it..

Better watch your manners.....theres a new lady killing elk and packing in with other ladies to do it.......whatever they are shooting...they are deadly....
And talking about taking a punch.....once again....Dana White said he hoped women to never fight in the UFC......well...i have sat hed some of those fights and a lot of those fights between women are more brutal than the guys fights.......
Learning how to take a shot to the face might be a little tougher than learning to take a shot with a rifle.........

Last edited:
Everyone is missing the point. If it's their Lease/Property it's their rules!
It doesn't matter if 9 million Moose have been killed with a 6.5 X 55!
If he says .30 Caliber you only have two choices!

Last edited:
Gents I believe we are all in violation of the rules of this forum.

Rule 10.

No discussions pertaining to the capabilities of any cartridge with the name Creedmoor.

Len is going to close this thread and ban every single one of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Rule 10 mean I can't say the 22 Creedmoor is great on coyotes, sagerats and prairie dogs! If so I apologize in advance! It is the one Creedmoor I like.

A buddy of mine just returned from his annual hunting trip where he had been told by one of the guides/ranch hands that the 6.5 Creedmoore was frowned upon at this particular establishment, apparently due to injured/lost game. I got to thinking about this and the longer I did, the more preposterous it began to seem to me.

So, I guess the ranch should also frown upon the 6.5 x 47, the .260 Rem and the 6.5-284 as well, right?

I just don't get this kind of nonsense. I'm shooting a 130 Accubond out of my 6.5 Creedmoore over a very modest 36.8 grain charge of RL-15. I easily get DRTs out to 250 yards. What makes people come to such conclusions? Maybe it has to do with the popularity of the round with beginners or inexperienced hunters? Thoughts?

I have been to hunts that the land owner or the guide service imposed a minimum caliber because they though the smaller cartridges couldn't do the job. many of these places did not wan't you to shoot over 100 yards. That normally means that there clientele can't shoot not the caliber/cartridge.

Even though I might want to use a larger caliber or cartridge for the game and terrain, I know that if I do my part, much smaller cartridges will still drop the game. And also many of these places actually hurt themselves by forcing people to shoot a bigger rifle than needed and one that the client is afraid of and doesn't/cant shoot as well so the end results are not as good with the bigger rifle/cartridge.

Statements like this are humorous and can be taken for what they are.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.