“Don’t use one of them Creedmoores....”

YZ-80

A buddy of mine just returned from his annual hunting trip where he had been told by one of the guides/ranch hands that the 6.5 Creedmoore was frowned upon at this particular establishment, apparently due to injured/lost game. I got to thinking about this and the longer I did, the more preposterous it began to seem to me.

So, I guess the ranch should also frown upon the 6.5 x 47, the .260 Rem and the 6.5-284 as well, right?

I just don't get this kind of nonsense. I'm shooting a 130 Accubond out of my 6.5 Creedmoore over a very modest 36.8 grain charge of RL-15. I easily get DRTs out to 250 yards. What makes people come to such conclusions? Maybe it has to do with the popularity of the round with beginners or inexperienced hunters? Thoughts?

We have a game ranch and most of the time I see the creedmoor that hunters bring with them they also bring match ammo. If that occurs I do not let them shoot an animal with rifle. In my experience the game that has been wounded and never retrieved on our place was due to this occurring. I'll probably be jumped in by a few on here for saying that but it's the truth in my experience that every time we've had to track and not recover an animal it's because the hunter was shooting match ammunition. If a creedmoor is being used and proper hunting bullets are used I let them fire away depending on distance.

It's called Creedmoor Derangement Syndrome. Usually afflicts "Never Creedmoorers"
Happens to lots of them when they realize there favorite, cherished, cartridge has been obsoleted right after they purchased it. Think Edsel owners.

If you can't kill it with a Creedmoor, you probably couldn't have killed it with a 308, 7-08, 243, 25-06, or 270 either...

Wonder if the clientele has had anything to do with it? I've been in a few camps where I could see these recommendations come from!

A buddy of mine just returned from his annual hunting trip where he had been told by one of the guides/ranch hands that the 6.5 Creedmoore was frowned upon at this particular establishment, apparently due to injured/lost game. I got to thinking about this and the longer I did, the more preposterous it began to seem to me.

So, I guess the ranch should also frown upon the 6.5 x 47, the .260 Rem and the 6.5-284 as well, right?

I just don't get this kind of nonsense. I'm shooting a 130 Accubond out of my 6.5 Creedmoore over a very modest 36.8 grain charge of RL-15. I easily get DRTs out to 250 yards. What makes people come to such conclusions? Maybe it has to do with the popularity of the round with beginners or inexperienced hunters? Thoughts?

My thoughts are it is a great round. Easy to tune to great accuracy and with the right load can kill efficiently out to 6-700 yards on antelope and deer. I would personally never use one on elk. I feel the haters blow the bad out of proportion and the lovers do the same on the good side. The truth is it sits nicely in the middle. I have my third on order and will mostly use it for new shooters. I think the lovers trying to make it do things it simply can't or shouldn't is what gives it the bad wrap. Just my two cents.

I've shot goats, deer, and elk with mine. The farthest tracking job has been about 30 yds.

Maybe accuracy of the shooter has a lot to do with it.
SHOT PLACEMENT TRUMPS SIZE ANY DAY.
I agree 100% and what I meant by depending on distance was the ability of the shooter. I shoot a creed and down animals as well. My point was the ammunition being used. Never had a problem with hunting bullets out of the creed only match.

We have a game ranch and most of the time I see the creedmoor that hunters bring with them they also bring match ammo. If that occurs I do not let them shoot an animal with rifle. In my experience the game that has been wounded and never retrieved on our place was due to this occurring. I'll probably be jumped in by a few on here for saying that but it's the truth in my experience that every time we've had to track and not recover an animal it's because the hunter was shooting match ammunition. If a creedmoor is being used and proper hunting bullets are used I let them fire away depending on distance.

Not all match ammo is created equal - hornady match loaded with eldm (amax) bullets are awesome on big muleys and elk.

Glad I won't ever be discriminated against that way. I am no 6.5CM supporter, and I do not own one. My 6.5SLR would vomit if I brought that whore home with me.

But...Put 3 into a 2" group at 600 and shut the guide up.

I think too many people think just because they own one, they do not need to PRACTICE with it. Not the bullet or cartridges fault, it is the shooter's fault. The 6.5CM is plenty capable of taking elk and deer a long ways out with the right bullet and placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.