“Don’t use one of them Creedmoores....”

If I had paid for a hunt, brought a sufficient rifle such as a 6.5 cm, and wasn't told ahead of time that I wouldn't be allowed to hunt with it I would be ****ed. Very ****ed. Especially whitetails. I killed a whitetail buck 2 years ago with an M&P shield 9mm and it died in 40'. They sure aren't tough. Saturday evening I killed a cow elk at 760 yards with a 6.5 cm and 135 ATIPs. Yep, a " match" bullet. Went through both shoulders and left a 1 1/2" -2" exit on the far side. She fell straight down the mountain from there. Anyone not letting me hunt whitetails with that gun and didn't say anything ahead of time would be refunding every penny I paid and paying me for my time.

This is one of my funny stories (Probably should be in the humor section) but it was similar in the fact that I was told that the shot was to long and I knew that the STW was more than capable of making the shot and bringing the game down. I was hunting Axis a with a 7 STW and spotted a nice buck/bull and when the guide said that's to far to shoot at first I though he was kidding. The Axis was less than 500 yards and the rifle had zero's out to 1200 yards. When he said there was no way to get to him I ask him how did the Axis score he studied him and said he should be gold. I responded by saying I need to have a look through my scope because I haven't seen one that big. I think everyone knows what happened next ;)

I steadied my self and looked, I commented that he was very nice, and about that time my STW just went off. I was shocked;) and so was he for a moment but the Axis hit the ground and he ask why I took that shot, and I responded "Because I could" He got a little mad and I told him If he could give him Mouth to mouth and bring him back I would be ok with that. He didn't speak to me for a while, But I was ok with that to.

Like others, I don't like people telling me what I can and cant do just because they can't do something. Later he bragged about what a long shot it was to others. I just let him enjoy the moment and didn't have the heart to tell him that was just a chip shot and anyone with any skills could make that shot.

PS: I never got invited back, but I am ok with that to.

J E CUSTOM

Hunting establishments see a lot of hunters come and go. They see what rifles the hunters bring, they note which calibers, and they also notice which caliber performed how. This is irrespective of each hunter's shot placement.

If a place doesn't want a certain caliber, it means that it has not proven suitable on most of the hunts it was used for.

Some hunting farms won't allow headshots on springbuck. This doesn't mean there is no rifle capable of killing a springbuck with a headshot, it means that hunters tend to miss, and the animal dies of hunger missing it's jaw.

And some will argue that their Creedmoore can quarter a dime at half a mile, but it's not about what the rifle can do, it's the result of the hunt that is remembered.

Everyone is missing the point. If it's their Lease/Property it's their rules!
It doesn't matter if 9 million Moose have been killed with a 6.5 X 55!
If he says .30 Caliber you only have two choices!

While this may be true, every guided hunt I have been on has had a contract that I was required to sign. If there are rules for the hunt they had better be on the contract for me to read and agree to before sending my hard earned cash and even more important to me, waste my time. I can make more money. I can't get my time back.

"May be true" Really? It's 100% true! If the contract clearly states .30 Caliber or larger
and you sign it..Done Deal..No Whining! Every contract should be checked by an Attorney in the State it's used in. Some are unenforceable in others.
Everyone gets so wound up when others don't buy into their silly little gun!
Does it really matter? I have one..Never shot it..Love to sell it..! Who Cares?

"May be true" Really? It's 100% true! If the contract clearly states .30 Caliber or larger
and you sign it..Done Deal..No Whining! Every contract should be checked by an Attorney in the State it's used in. Some are unenforceable in others.
Everyone gets so wound up when others don't buy into their silly little gun!
Does it really matter? I have one..Never shot it..Love to sell it..! Who Cares?

I love how you get fired up just to repeat what I just said. The op never mentioned a contract and I doubt it specified a minimum anything.

As far as your lawyer statement ...We sign contracts in almost everything we do these days. I'm not getting a lawyer to get a cell phone or cable or go hunting.

Just like my first post said... Lovers and haters and they are both in this thread.

Last edited:
And you should read all my posts! I clearly stated everything should be worked out prior to putting down a deposit..If you don't ask it's your fault!
If you like to cut corners and not have it gone over by a professional. That's your problem...You will end up regretting it one day...
I just closed on a little piece of ground..I took my Attorney to the closing..I play it safe..
I can't read legaleese but he's good at it and explains it to me.
I get hunt flyers/emails the pricking to hunt say a Brown Bear is $15-$20.000.00 USD
More exotic is more money! To me that is a major investment and requires due diligence on my part!

Last edited:
Many a deer have fallen to the lowly arrow, .22 lr, 30-30... you name it. I think this outfit would be better served in making recommendations on bullet type than castigating a cartridge that falls right in the wheelhouse of the quarry hunted. This year I shot a deer that ran about 80 yards with no heart, lungs and on only one front leg. I guess the 30-06 is also no good for taking game.

The old guy likes to put out """Food for Thought""" !!!

Back in the days of my Grand-Dad the old timers said that the 30/06 was way under powered to hunt big game in North America,,, it was 45/70 or you might as well stay home...

The same thing was said about the 270,,, then the 25/06,,, the Americas was deffinatly not keen on the metric calibers unless it was a 7mm,,, even it took the back seat for many years as the 300's and 338 group said that it was to small...

The biggest cry wolf happened when the 6mm and 243 entered the big game hunting world,,, how dare the powers to be for allowing such a move,,, funny that millions of critters have been harvested with such small cartridges... Ha

Dont ask me why folks are now shooting wild Boars with 223 and 22-250's,,, if I recall there are 17 USA states that allow them in the deer Harvesting group,,, The New Zeland helicopter Predator Control / Deer culling crew that travels all around the world uses 223's to thin out 1000's of Deer ever year,,, they just rapped up operations here last year clearing an Island on the West Coast of Canada Deer heard... It took them a few weeks,,, and they got the job done...

Super accurate and fast... Ha...

Funny that when someone chimes in on this forum about a guy bringing his wife or young son or daughter on a big game hunt,,, 99% of us mentions that it's a good idea for them to pick a rifle that they can shoot well,,, a 243,,, 6.5 something,,, maybe a 7mm-08 if they can handle the recoil...

Then when one of us grown men ask for this same advice the rules change becuase we're supposed to be tough and the 30/06 is not enough...

Strange that the opposite of this is ok for our kids and Wives... Ha

2 sets of rules,,, purhaps the 6.5 Creedmoor ain't no were near superior to the 243's and 6mm's...

So a 12 year old daughter has to pack and shoot a 338 Lazzeroni if she's coming with me to hunt the thick skins,,, fat chance thats going to happen... LOL

Yuppers,,, its ok for one gender,,, but not the next,,, we had a fellow in our group that shot a 243 until his day of passing since he lived his life in a wheel chair...

His whole life that is...

He travelled all around the world with his little lady's gun and no one made fun of him because """most""" humans have respect for those that live life with """abilities""" Not disabilities...

Our good friend Jim Shocky knows this all to well hunting North Americas largest Moose on the Nahanni River just North West of us,,, Jim has guided folks with Abilities along with our crew...

One thing that is missing form this thread is the introduction of client and guide and the format that takes place long before it gets booked....what are the challanges that stand in the way,,, what's the game plan to make a successful hunt... What's requirements are needed and who's running back-up...

Most guided hunts I've been on have 2 shooters on target,,, there's no reason for allowing a missed opertunity... Life is just that simple...

What kind of guide would let his paying customers down,,, most of us know this including big game and archey guides...

If your not accurate with your bow,,, your hoping to close the gap for the kill,,, its just the way it is...

Lots of hunters come from over seas that don't own a rifle because they can't get a permit to have one,,, so they do their life time of harvesting with bow and arrow... Life sucks I guess,,, what's a person to do in this case...

Don't kid your self,,, some of those bow hunters can reach out there further then one might think...

As a guide,,, do you want the business with your back up game plan or not...

Choices I guess,,, some of the most successful guides set them selves and their client to succeed because they have strategies to get it done...

If the intended guide has limits on the instrument used for Harvesting game then so be it,,, his loss of opertunity to put funds in his or her pocket when the next guide down the road will """most likely""" reap the rewards...

A good quality guide will always have his clients back covered no matter what,,, that's why they charge per Customer bases...

Always more wrong then right I guess,,, I'm sure glad I get to hunt on my own in the wilds North of the 49th,,, endless miles in all directions as I'm the only one that gets to pick and choose what I want in our freezer...

Cheers from the North

I would have to hope that any sort of cartridge or caliber restriction would be in the contract.

Otherwise- I would recommend the OP get his data together and speak with whoever is the overall manager for the whole operation. Compare it to any other common cartridge that they would allow and show him there is not some magical difference.

Convince him the 6.5 can get it done and all will be well. Additionally, you may do good to open that door for the hunter's coming after you.

I have a hunt this winter that has a caliber size restriction- I want to bring a rifle that is small by diameter... but the cartridge itself is a hammer because of the velocity and heavy for caliber bullets. I'll provide the facts and see what the man says and I will abide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.