Which Press?

I have a Dillon 650 with a case feeder for high volume loading; a Dillon 550 for large primers; a Dillon for Small primers; a RCBS Rock Chucker for form case forming; and a Rock Chucker modified with the Hornady Lock-n-Load die adapter (which I highly recommend for ease of changing dies) that I use for case trimming with a Dillon trimmer. I'm spoiled!!!

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and it is not bad. I am interested in your opinions on presses, so I have three questions to the forum:
(1) Which is the best press of all, and why?
(2) Which is the best for the money?
(3) Does the choice of press have any effect on the quality of the resulting ammunition?
What constitutes "best" can be purely relative or speculative and some opinions can be expensive. Instead, you need to establish your own budget, not other users' budget. The quality of the handload goes beyond what reloading press is being used. The overall reloading process (from brass prep to seating bullets and everything in between) plays a major role in the quality of the handloads. There are old-timers out there that can accurately load with their old RCBS Rock Chucker. I have an early 1970s RCBS JR3.

@pig ranch deadeye When I am to purchase something that I need opinions on I find it very helpful to go to sites ( Midway, Midsouth etc) that sell them and read the reviews. I find I get some great info on the good and not so good points of the product. JME

I've loaded over million rounds on my rock chucker if your not happy with yours you won't be happy with anything what don't u like about it? I also have a Dillon for pistol ammo as well
I like my Rock Chucker. I just was thinking of trying something different. But the Rock Chucker is great.

In my personal experience the press doesn't matter too much. I have 3 currently, so I don't have to swap out dies all the time. Rock chucker, Lee, and Hornady. I'm certain somebody will tell me I'm doing it all wrong and my rounds aren't as concentric or whatever with the 2 budget presses, but in my experience the rounds loaded in them shoot the same as ones loaded in the rock chucker. The only big difference to me is the ergonomics, build quality, design, and mechanical advantage by different lever designs. I've switched dies from one press to another and the loads shoot the same.
If it were me I'd only upgrade if there was something wrong or annoying. Such as being a lefty and upgrading to the coax because it's more ambidextrous, or some other reason to upgrade

IMHO THE absolute BEST press is the one you own that works for you. Having said that, I also have RC Supreme and it does everything I want it to - reload precision ammo. I have no NEED to get a new one. If I did, it would most likely be a Forster co-ax,but that is a WANT, and the money I save on not buying one lets me buy other things for reloading. The press does it' s job superbly, so I get the best support items that support my goal - quality dies, measuring tools, etc.
I have a Hornady Lock n Load, I'm not a fan of the quick change collets you need them for every die or just screw them on and out.
I would consider the Forster if I wanted to upgrade bit it comes at a price.
I like it
It's generally highly regarded
Opinions vary
The Forster has some lockable options or functions, you can't get everything in one model but most single stage presses are functional and solid

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but you really want the strength of an O type rather than a C type press unless you're buying a massive one or one that is very well engineered (read expensive).

Your cheap presses that are open in the front (C type) tend to flex more and flex is NOT good with a cartridge loading press. Rigidity is critical.

By the way.... It's FORSTER NOT FORESTER! LOL

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but you really want the strength of an O type rather than a C type press unless you're buying a massive one or one that is very well engineered (read expensive).

Your cheap presses that are open in the front (C type) tend to flex more and flex is NOT good with a cartridge loading press. Rigidity is critical.

By the way.... It's FORSTER NOT FORESTER! LOL
Forster, got it. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.