Which Press?

Have used a number of presses and the Co-Ax is my favorite. Too many advantages to list. Price is not high considering it will last your lifetime. Have also used many different brands of dies and though the vast majority are good dies and do what they claim to do, the Forster FL dies produce the least amount of runout, by far.

IMHO THE absolute BEST press is the one you own that works for you. Having said that, I also have RC Supreme and it does everything I want it to - reload precision ammo. I have no NEED to get a new one. If I did, it would most likely be a Forster co-ax,but that is a WANT, and the money I save on not buying one lets me buy other things for reloading. The press does it' s job superbly, so I get the best support items that support my goal - quality dies, measuring tools, etc.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and it is not bad. I am interested in your opinions on presses, so I have three questions to the forum:
(1) Which is the best press of all, and why?
(2) Which is the best for the money?
(3) Does the choice of press have any effect on the quality of the resulting ammunition?
there are many press out there it is all what you want to do and they only are die holders anyway. you can go way above a grand with the auto press out there some make better reloads ect I like and use the Forster co-ax and widden dies for some ammo for others I do the arbor press and sinclair in line dies get waht you want and what works for you

Have had a RCBS A-2 press bought in 1966 while in college. Also have a Redding Ultra Mag press. Both have given many years of reliable service. Use RCBS and Redding dies. No problems with either. Love the Redding bushing dies!! Also have two Dillion 550's for pistol calibers, .223's, 7.62x39, and 30 Carbine.

I started out with a Rockchucker like you. Then I added the Redding Boss because I found I was going back and forth between dies and got frustrated. Recently I bought the Redding T-7 turret press. I love it. Now the Rockchucker is mostly for depriming or forming 223 into 300 AAC. The only weird thing of using more than one press is I think for resizing and seating you have to remember which press the die was set up on as results I have found are slightly off.

Forster are certainly one of the best. Their Ultimate Seating Die is my hands down favorite seating die and a favorite of a lot of competitors.
They are my favorite die sets and the seaters are all I'll use.

Question 1 Area 419

Question 2 In my opinion and experience the RCBS Summit

Question 3 Yes some more than others

I am using a Rock Chucker press I bought in 1970 with Foster and Mighty Armory dies and getting @ .001 TIR or less. Can't vouch for the newer presses being able to hold their precision that long over many thousands of rifle and pistol reloads. If you get a new press, I recommend you hold on to your RC, you may find yourself going back to it in the future for precision reloading,provided components remain available.

It depends on :
1. Your budget. Like most things you buy.
2. What calibers you want to size. Handgun , rifle or both.
3. Do you want to produce top quality , or quantity.

First, the search function works very well on here and we seem to talk about single stage presses.

Second, if you like Gavin Toobe, he has a good review on YouTube and his website ultimatereloade.com

Third, I have the MEC Marksman. It is a great press at a reasonable price. I was reloading rifle ammo on a lock n load AP. Works ok, but it is not nearly as stiff and that affects consistently. I went to the LNL single stage. Good, but I was having some small stiffness issues and it felt sloppy. The MEC fixed all that.
Agree on the M.E.C. I use it exclusively to seat rifle bullets. My 40 yr old Chucker is relegated to pistol work and rifle case prep.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and it is not bad. I am interested in your opinions on presses, so I have three questions to the forum:
(1) Which is the best press of all, and why?
(2) Which is the best for the money?
(3) Does the choice of press have any effect on the quality of the resulting ammunition?
#1, The best press in my mind is the Dillon BL-550, fully up-gradeable to the RL-550 C
#2, Best for the money is the Dillon as well. next in line would be the Hornady Iron Press or the Redding Big Boss II. the Turret press I like is the Redding T-7.
#3, Yes, in some cases it does.. any press from Lee is a severe down grade from all of the other presses out there.

I've loaded over million rounds on my rock chucker if your not happy with yours you won't be happy with anything what don't u like about it? I also have a Dillon for pistol ammo as well

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.