which reloading press?

saskhunter

just wondering if there is a certain kind of press i should be looking at. my buddy has a rcbs rockchucker but i see hornady has some and redding has many different ones. i am shooting a 300wsm now but in the near future hope to get my hands on a 338 edge or lapua. is there a all aroind press that will work for both?

The RCBS is a great press, but if Im not mistaken the Hornady has a longer throw of the ram. That would bennifit you with long cases.
Im not knockin the RCBS in any way, but I can tell you that I wouldnt trade my Hornady Lock-N-Load single stage for any other. I love that thing!!! Changing dies, and not having to mess with a set screw ROCKS!!!!!!!!! So quick and easy its almost sickening to have to use a buddy's press when I over at thier place playin around.
Ill vote Hornady.
I here Dillon has a quality press thats large, but Ive never used one. To be honest I have never loaded for anything longer than my 300wby, so I couldnt tell you with any certainty about how much room youll have with your Lapua. But I have room to spare on my Hornady L-N-L when loading for the 300wby. Good luck with your choice. Theres lots of good presses out there.

I use a forster press. I think it probably the best press on the market. Change your dies in seconds. Forster all the way!

I also use a Forster press, only thing against it is the price which isn't that bad compared to what you get.

If you don't have that kind of money, then the Lee Classic Cast is tough to beat. It's a solid life long lasting animal that can be used even for the 0.50 BMG. At Midway I haven't seen a product with so many "5 stars".

Cabela's got them on sale!

Cabela's -- Lee Classic Cast Reloading Press

Last edited:
Rcbs chargemaster is a powder measure, it just makes loading very easy as it has an automatic setting that allows the powder to start flowing as soon as you replace the empty dish.

I had a Forster at one time. Nice press but got tired of pinching my fingers trying to seat a bullet in a 300 Win Mag case. I like seat dies with micrometer adjusts and they didn't fit in the Forster. I got a Redding Ultramag and favor it over any other press.

The current model of Co-Ax press has a longer handle yoke, and will clear practically any 7/8-14 die, even micrometer. For cases longer than standard magnum length, it does get a little tight seating a bullet, and the UltraMag is good for that.

The co-ax and UltraMag are both excellent presses. I like the features and design of my co-ax though, from the floating, snap-in/out die retention, automatic shell holder jaws, and flawless spent primer handling, to the over-the-top, down-the-middle handle motion.

Andy

I use the hornady lock n load single stage press and I love it. It uses a bushing system for the dies, so when you get your dies set like you want them, just remove the bushing with the die intact and put in another die in its own bushing and you are ready to go, no more adjusting.

+1 for the Forster co-axial. Love mine . It is great to use and produces very concentric rounds

I had a Forster at one time. Nice press but got tired of pinching my fingers trying to seat a bullet in a 300 Win Mag case. I like seat dies with micrometer adjusts and they didn't fit in the Forster. I got a Redding Ultramag and favor it over any other press.

Definitely there is more room in the Redding Ultramag.

I'm a big guy with big hands, I have, for many years, reloaded for the 300 RUM using 210 Berger bullets and presently I'm reloading for the 338-300 RUM using 300 grains SMK and no finger pinching as of yet. Largest COAL I've done is 3.800".

The current model of Co-Ax press has a longer handle yoke, and will clear practically any 7/8-14 die, even micrometer. For cases longer than standard magnum length, it does get a little tight seating a bullet, and the UltraMag is good for that.

The co-ax and UltraMag are both excellent presses. I like the features and design of my co-ax though, from the floating, snap-in/out die retention, automatic shell holder jaws, and flawless spent primer handling, to the over-the-top, down-the-middle handle motion.

Andy

Ditto. I load .338-300 with 300 gr SMK's with the newer style Forster press with no problems. I have the UltraMag press but no room on the bench for it so I have to bolt it on when I want to use it. I originally bought it to neck up .300 RUM brass but the Forster does a good job on that do until I redo my reloading room I'll just use the Forster.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.