Which press?

Years ago I was involved in a test measuring deflection and trueness of presses with a colleague. It was printed in a precision magazine dedicated to shooting. I will tell you the Lee 50 BMG press and the K&N arbor press are the ones to consider. The Lee 50 is of coarse big and beefy and is reasonably priced. All normal dies work.

Same exact thing happened to me. You can get replacement parts from lee. If I remember right about 15.00. I haven't fixed mine yet thou. I'm using an old rcbs press. I'm liking what I see with the redding t7. I think that's the route I'm taking.

The TIR of the loaded round is mostly (but not totally) driven by the seating die. Most arbor dies are a thing of beauty. The sliding collar seating dies have an advantage too.

The press can offset the case head - body alignment ever so slightly if the ram comes up offset. The Smart Reloader series has a lot of pics on YouTube of really bad offsets. Not all of the Chinese RCBS are bad. But there have been production runs that slipped through QA.

KB

This is all good data boys. I really appreciate the opinions. I will attempt to get parts for the Lee and use for a back up or pass along to a friend looking at getting into reloading. After using this RC, I don't see how I can go back to the Lee full time. Have a good one!

Steel Rain

Keep the Lee snd screw a Universal Decapping Die in it to deprime everything first. Then you can clean the cases before they ever touch your dies. It pays to have two presses on the bench.

KB

Years ago I was involved in a test measuring deflection and trueness of presses with a colleague. It was printed in a precision magazine dedicated to shooting. I will tell you the Lee 50 BMG press and the K&N arbor press are the ones to consider. The Lee 50 is of coarse big and beefy and is reasonably priced. All normal dies work.

If I really worried about how much my RockChucker deflected when in operation...Id just give it all up for a rocking chair and a young blond nurse with big hooties feeding me 3 times a day.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.