Which Press?

Been uesing a RCBS JR. for years, what make you think , you need a new press.

I've loaded over million rounds on my rock chucker if your not happy with yours you won't be happy with anything what don't u like about it? I also have a Dillon for pistol ammo as well
A million rounds? On a single stage hand press? That's a lot of cranking on that handle! You must have true Popeye arms by now ;). Not to mention spending a small fortune on components...

I've loaded maybe 1000 rounds in a couple different calibers on a cheap Lee classic 4-hole turret. Don't know why Lee doesn't get any votes. Ok, maybe not in the "best" category, but they are certainly usable and a great value, IMHO.

Best? too many personal preferences go into that determination. I have used a bunch and currently have a Rock Chucker and an LNL-AP. For precision ammo I use my RC. The Two things bother me about this press - depriming (spent caps go all over) and the "O" design, despite being decades old design, it is in the way.

If getting a new press it would be between the Marksman, the Co-Ax, and I would also look hard at the Hornady Iron press.

But that is my opinion.

Dillon for pistol hands down! Harrell's Precision Combo Press with L.E. Wilson inline seating die and L.E. Wilson Bushing Type Full Length Sizing Die for 6.5 Creed (portable). Forster Co-Ax with Redding Competition dies for almost everything else.

I also have a Hornady Apex to crank out 12ga trap loads, and it does great. But again in defense of Lee, I have an el-cheapo Lee Load-All that I modified to handle 3" 12ga shells. It's dedicated to one thing, loading super fast steel waterfowl loads. It's been cranking them out reliably for over 20 years now without a single hiccup. Again, certainly not the best, or the fastest; but it works and works well. I like stuff like that.

This was mentioned early on in the posts, I just wanted to add the link. Here is a link to an fairly scientific and seemingly unbiased comparison. if you don't like links, get on YouTube and search 14 reloading presses.

Last edited:
A million rounds? On a single stage hand press? That's a lot of cranking on that handle! You must have true Popeye arms by now ;). Not to mention spending a small fortune on components...

I've loaded maybe 1000 rounds in a couple different calibers on a cheap Lee classic 4-hole turret. Don't know why Lee doesn't get any votes. Ok, maybe not in the "best" category, but they are certainly usable and a great value, IMHO.
The Lee CC press is most certainly a great press and good value. Maybe not in the Co-ax class but in the RCBS RC and Big Boss class.

I've loaded over million rounds on my rock chucker if your not happy with yours you won't be happy with anything what don't u like about it? I also have a Dillon for pistol ammo as well
@bullet man, the math for a million rounds works out to be about 20,000 hours working the press, assuming you can crank out 50 rounds/hr, or 1 every 1.2 minutes. Sounds about right as an average for a single stage, if you are good at it.

20,000 hours is 833 days, non-stop round the clock. Assume you only loaded for 8 hrs/day, every day, never taking a break; it would take 2500 days or about 7 years to hit a million. If you only loaded for 2 hrs/day, every day without fail; it would take 27 years to load a million. And you said you've done over a million...

And how do you shoot them all? If you shot 100 rounds per day, every day, 365 days per year; it would take over 27 years to shoot a million.

My question is; how old are you, and does your rock chucker still work?

Last edited:
@bullet man, the math for a million rounds works out to be about 20,000 hours working the press, assuming you can crank out 50 rounds/hr, or 1 every 1.2 minutes. Sounds about right as an average for a single stage, if you are good at it.

20,000 hours is 833 days, non-stop round the clock. Assume you only loaded for 8 hrs/day, every day, never taking a break; it would take 2500 days or about 7 years to hit a million. If you only loaded for 2 hrs/day, every day without fail; it would take 27 years to load a million. And you said you've done over a million...

And how do you shoot them all? If you shot 100 rounds per day, every day, 365 days per year; it would take over 27 years to shoot a million.

My question is; how old are you, and does your rock chucker still work?
921015C0-E7E4-4590-96B9-915A900A1D30.gif

I like the advise on this thread and found it interestin. I have a RC now and a Lee that I use in the lineup but I've been thinking of upgrading but from what I'm reading maybe I will keep plugging along towards my million lol jk...still have a long ways to go and still learning

Lee Loadmaster and Lee dies of course! Love mine, use as single stage, turret or progressive. But you always need an RC

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.